Grave of a star.

dalebe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
this is the grave of a very well known northern england film star and comedian George Formby, his show business career lasted forty years, from 1921 to 1961, and he is buried in the family grave in my hometown of warrington, i took it with my new digital rebel, and thought it would be fitting to convert to b&w, i used ISO 400, 1/1000 f10, i'm still getting used to the settings, what do you think.

IMG_0023.jpg

Looks like you're enjoying your new Canon Dalebe. George was Wigan lad, so every time anything was on the telly with George in it, we had to watch it. Wonder which lamp post he's leaning on now.

Good shot btw

tempra said:
Looks like you're enjoying your new Canon Dalebe. George was Wigan lad, so every time anything was on the telly with George in it, we had to watch it. Wonder which lamp post he's leaning on now.

Good shot btw
You and me too Tempra, he made some great films though,and i'm sure he's still playing his banjo too! and do you know what! you never cease to amaze me , you have a great knowledge of the north, you are spot on again. thanks a lot.

I thought he had a Ukalele? (SP?)

Never knew he was buried in Warrington though! I might have to have a look next time we're up that way!

Not sure about a B&W Conversion. I like this colour version esp with the daisys at the foot of the grave! It sort of looks fresh and lively just like Mr Formby was!

dalebe said:
and do you know what! you never cease to amaze me , you have a great knowledge of the north, you are spot on again. thanks a lot.

Heh - I'm originally from Wigan - born about a mile down the road from George :D

I really like the picture... Ok, maybe I'd play more iwth a dof coz the background is a bit distracting but... it is very nice :) lovely tones!

Very nice shot. I would have used f14 myself. The vertical is a little off.
Composition is fine and so is the texture.
dundee6

dundee6 said:
Very nice shot. I would have used f14 myself. The vertical is a little off.
Composition is fine and so is the texture.
dundee6
thanks dundee6, but f14 is a smaller aperture so it would show more of the background detail, are you trying to say more detail or less?

thanks you guys for the great comments.
PlasticSpanner, you are so right it is a ukalele,(silly me)
tempra, we are practically neighbours.
Mentos_007, i will take your advise and use a shorter DOF on my next visit.
thanks again.

great picture, the height you took the photo at makes it seem very personable, but maybe if you took the picture from down low(closer to the ground) giving the grave that taller "larger than life" sense, might reflect on the extent of his career, 40 years is a long time just my .02

I would have used f14 to bring the front of the monument into focus.
I don't think the background matters too much with this type of a shot.
Putting it through photoshop could address the background.
Being from the old country, I remember george very well.
dundee6

I think there may be a bit too much background in the shot. Takes away from the main theme of the picture, and maybe you wanna get a little closer to the gravestone. But other then that I like it. Thats a goood idea for a picture

I'm about as English as Baseball or the NFL but I do like the subject of the pic. I would go with a more obscure background for this one and pull out as much detail as you can of the stone. Although I feel you did a very nice job the first time around, you may be able to improve on it.

kilifila66 said:
I'm about as English as Baseball or the NFL but I do like the subject of the pic. I would go with a more obscure background for this one and pull out as much detail as you can of the stone. Although I feel you did a very nice job the first time around, you may be able to improve on it.
thank you very much for that, i do so want to improve on it, so i will try your suggestions on my next visit.

Most reactions

Back