Graveyard, cemetaries and tombs

leeseemonkey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone.I'm doing an intermediate photography class, and have been asked to deliver a final project of 5 - 7 images.As we're learning all about post development and Photoshop these are to be in a digital format.I've decided to do mine on a huge victorian era cemetary close to my house. It has beautiful trees, hundreds of different tombs and graves and has sections both new and delapidated. The scope for a project is huge in terms of light and subject matter. As part of the project I've been asked to give a 10 minute presentation on a photographer, body of work, subject etc.... So what I wanted to ask the community is - Does anyone know of any bodies of work on graveyards, cemetaries or tombs? I can see plenty of photos around on the web but nothing as part of a set, or presentation. Also, looking through Magnum, Getty etc seems to be heading towards a fail! Surely I can't be one of the first to think of such a project!?Your help is much appreciated, and I look forward to sharing my project with the community!Lee

Last edited:
Lee, You picked (or were assigned) a tough one. I have quite a few images of various graveyards, stones, tombs, cemetaries but nothing as a set on a specific place or theme and of course, not all images online at this time. I can see your frustration as I have never seen such a set either.

I'm sure you can manage your own images and that part of the project, but good luck on the other portion which involves a photographer or body of work.
I hope someone can come along and help you here.

Have you tried looking in Google images for "graveyard photo", "cemetary photography", etc. and hover over an interesting image then look at the URL and if it appears to be from a photographer's website then go to it?<br>I fished through a few and found some sets, but none by any known photographers, but Idk if that matters to you or not. Could be worth a try. I only tried one keyword.

Oh, nice Ken.

Thanks everyone - much appreciated. I was looking more for established / famous photgraphers - that's what I was finding difficult. But, tbh the subject matter is more important than who took the photos.I've found a few now, some beautiful ones that only serve to solidify my choice of project.

Lee, You picked (or were assigned) a tough one. I have quite a few images of various graveyards, stones, tombs, cemetaries but nothing as a set on a specific place or theme and of course, not all images online at this time. I can see your frustration as I have never seen such a set either.I'm sure you can manage your own images and that part of the project, but good luck on the other portion which involves a photographer or body of work.I hope someone can come along and help you here.
Thanks Joey - actually my choice of subject! I think if I keep it to the topic, rather than a particular photographer I'll be ok. What's your opinion on graveayrds etc? A lot of people in my class sem to think I'm being a little morbid but I actually find a lot of these old cemetaries beautiful, peacefull places!

Most reactions

Back