Graveyard of Nuns

matt_paul85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recent trip to Indiana and found a Catholic College and inside was a, like the title says, Graveyard for nuns. Neat Place.

DSCF0068.jpg

and another...
RIP.jpg

and on a not so dark side (lol).
DSCF0077.jpg

I know these aren't very good. I'm still trying to figure out aperture, F stop, and ISO.... all that good stuff.

C&C Welcome.

hmmm... no good at all? sorry, that the first and third are on the side. I turned them in photobucket but apparently that didn't work.

#1 could use some more contrast and maybe a slight rotation.

#2 could use some rotation and maybe clone out the shadow that's poking in on the right, it's a bit distracting. You could also crop some of the trees off the top of the photo.

I agree with Mullen, about #1. ....And in #1 there is a headstone right in front there that looks newer than the rest...I would have liked to see that one not included in this photo, maybe that's just a personal preference?

I have to agree with Mullen about #2 as well....I do however like that you got down low to take the shot!! I think it's a more interesting perspective.

#3....Well, what can I say...I love that!!!!!

There were no names on the headstones?

I thought that at first but, turns out they were just on the back. Odd thing is that they just had the birth dates on them. I asked one of the nuns about it and she said the reason for that was because when they die it's a "rebirth" instead of death. So, they just don't put the Date of Death.

#1 could use some more contrast and maybe a slight rotation.

#2 could use some rotation and maybe clone out the shadow that's poking in on the right, it's a bit distracting. You could also crop some of the trees off the top of the photo.

I appreciate the advice! I'm very new to the PP process, learn as I go.

I agree with Mullen, about #1. ....And in #1 there is a headstone right in front there that looks newer than the rest...I would have liked to see that one not included in this photo, maybe that's just a personal preference?

I have to agree with Mullen about #2 as well....I do however like that you got down low to take the shot!! I think it's a more interesting perspective.

#3....Well, what can I say...I love that!!!!!

I hope to be going back up there sometime soon. Lots and Lots of potential IMO in that cemetery. I'll get some better shots. Thanks for the comments, and I thought the parking sign was hilarious. Especially since we parked there before looking and this little bitty Nun came out and explained to us why we could not park there :lol: it was so funny. The nicest scolding I think I've ever gotten.

Nicely done Matt. Really interesting about the dates on the stones too. We have a SOS(sisters of service) part in one of our cemeteries here. Seems many died days apart doing whatever they had to do during the war.
Agree with the little adjustments that were suggested, but still diggin your images . Well done.

Nicely done Matt. Really interesting about the dates on the stones too. We have a SOS(sisters of service) part in one of our cemeteries here. Seems many died days apart doing whatever they had to do during the war.
Agree with the little adjustments that were suggested, but still diggin your images . Well done.

I really appreciate the comment. I'm VERY new to the PP process (just got photoshop a couple of days ago), I posted in the black and white gallery with one I gave it a go at but haven't tried anything else. Any tips on PP would be awesome! I've looked at your stuff and it's just amazing.

The C/C was well put so I won't be the broken record......

Nice photos anyways, I like them. Funny how Nuns and Mental Patients neither received names on headstones. Shouldn't they at least get the respect of a name like "Sister Jane Doe" or "Mother Jane Doe"? I dunno, just my feelings.

BTW: the sign was funny. :lol:

EDIT: Another strange thing I noticed: being nuns, their stones don't even have crosses! Much less names. WTF??

The C/C was well put so I won't be the broken record......

Nice photos anyways, I like them. Funny how Nuns and Mental Patients neither received names on headstones. Shouldn't they at least get the respect of a name like "Sister Jane Doe" or "Mother Jane Doe"? I dunno, just my feelings.

BTW: the sign was funny. :lol:

EDIT: Another strange thing I noticed: being nuns, their stones don't even have crosses! Much less names. WTF??

There were names. Just on the back of them and there were PLENTY of religious symbols all over that place. I found it odd too though that none were on the tombstones themselves. They were very minimal, of course I guess that's to represent the lifestyle they lived. Just an opinion. Thanks for the comments! I'm going to start cropping and all that jazz soon.

wow... I wonder how it would've looked from a higher angle? The black and white one is definitely more eerie than the colour. Great job!

Thanks for the comment! I'm going back sometime in the near future. Hopefully I'll be able to find something to get higher up and see what I can get.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back