Graveyards in Infrared

SleepyLizard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sleepylizard.iofm.net
Hi folks - I only found this site today and thought I'd test the waters :D

Here are two shots I took with a recently acquired Hoya R72 Infra Red filter. Both shot with my Canon G3 - 2.5" @ f5.6 and then converted to B&W.

Comments and/or critiques are always welcome.

hg-graves2-ir.jpg

hg-graves-ir.jpg

Alan

Definitely a unique perspective. I prefer the first over the second, however the first is a little dark toward the bottom on this monitor.

The second, I am not sure what is the focus and am very distracted by the bright whites.

Thanks for the comments.

In the second shot the focal point is the middle of the three graves. At least it works that way for me. The whites are actually dark green Ivy leaves. That what the R72 filter does to them. I guess it's one of those things people either love or hate :)

Alan

I like! Very erie!
almost sinister, especially the ivy!
Very emotion evoking photos! :D

I'd like to see the colour pics or maybe these played around in photoshop!
I'd colour the sky in the first one blue and maybe even green the grass in the forground to play on the grayness of the graves and that crazy gate structure!

I would agree that this is a good composition for the second photo. You are quite right as this is one of those things that either works for you or doesn't. Apparently not my think, but I wouldn't say that I hate it.

lizheaemma said:
I'd like to see the colour pics or maybe these played around in photoshop

Thanks - glad you like it. The IR filter blocks out most of the colour spectrum. Straight out of the camera they look rather red. For some reason I can't find the original of this (hope I haven't deleted it :shock:
) However I found a poor quality shot of the same place. Here is a link to it in it's original colour if you are interested.

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~haggis63/ir-original.jpg

Alan

Interesting shots, I might have to try something like that one of these days.
I prefer the first one but I also like the original of it, the red has an attraction.

I definitely like the original of the first. The abundance of red gives it a very unique feeling. Like something you would find in a thriller or sci-fi movie.

Hi Alan, can you tell this ignorant one what type camera this is? I am gathering you shot these digitally then used PS to tweak them into the IR effect, as you used the deep red filter over your lens....or did I miss something? Can you explain the technique?

I shoot a lot of Kodak HIE with a #25 red filter, and I love the look of IR images. I like the composition of your second shot very much, btw. :D

Thank you everyone. I do appreciate all your comments.

terri said:
... can you tell this ignorant one what type camera this is? I am gathering you shot these digitally then used PS to tweak them into the IR effect,

They were taken with the Canon G3. It's not just an ordinary red filter but a Hoya R72 Infra Red filter. To look at it it's almost black and lets hardly any light through so you end up with quite long exposures. So, the infrared effect is done "in camera". However, I have used PS to convert to B&W and adjust levels etc. I've only had the filter for a few weeks and these were my first attempts with it. Since then the sun has gone into hiding :)

Alan

terri said:
I am gathering you shot these digitally then used PS to tweak them into the IR effect, as you used the deep red filter over your lens....or did I miss something? Can you explain the technique?

Terri, many of the sensors used in digital cameras are IR sensitive, and you can get the effect just by using an IR filter. Some manufacturers build a filter into the camera that blocks the IR, so ask questions if you're looking to get a digital camera that'll shoot IR.

Oh, and by the way, here's how to make a cheap IR filter that will block almost all visible light. Some of the IR filters can be very expensive.

Go to a lab and buy the cheapest roll of 120 size E6 film (check the expired bin too). Have it developed as is. You will get back a strip of dark plastic that is about 60mm wide. If you hold it up to your eyes, you will be able to see some very bright lights through it. Cut out a circle that'll fit into a UV or sky filter. A double layer will block almost all the visible light, but it lets IR light through.

I've used this on my flash too. With the camera loaded with IR film (or IR sensitive digital sensor), no filter on the lens, I line my softbox with the developed E6. When the flash fires, visible light is blocked, and IR gets through to illuminate your subject. Experimentation is necessary to determine how mush IR your flash is putting out.

ksmattfish said:
Some manufacturers build a filter into the camera that blocks the IR, so ask questions if you're looking to get a digital camera that'll shoot IR.

OR - If you already have a digital camera, get your TV remote control, have someone point it at your camera and press one of the buttons. If your camera allows IR to get through you will see a bright light from the remote control on your LCD.

Thanks for the additional info there, Matt..... I don't shoot digital, btw. It's just not as interesting to me as film. I really do appreciate all the different things it's beginning to offer, it's just not my thing right now. If the day comes when it starts to feel more....necessary, I guess is the word, to have a digital, then yes I would probably want to make sure it could shoot IR like this. But for now, I consider myself a student of traditional film imagery. :)

btw, Matt, I have decided to nickname you "the Pilgrim". That's meant in a really good way. This little tidbit below about using expired film, plus all the other DIY stuff you've posted about - your basic ingenuity in crafting workable items from things you have lying around the house just cracks me up. You'd make our forefathers proud, I'm thinking. Hence: the Pilgrim! :p I hope you don't mind.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back