TATTRAT

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
jonobrands.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Took the day off and went for a walk. Beautiful day out at Great falls. C+C welcome, as always.

1:
9425649044_8abaace43b_h.jpg

2:
9425074760_756c09f065_h.jpg

3:
9422303663_4c72f9536f_h.jpg

4:
9422304437_1da3585902_h.jpg

What time of the day did you shoot these? The sun has really blown out the highlights. The falls look awesome you just need to bring the right down in post.

Unfortunately, it was just after noon. Messing around with a ND Filter for the first time. Still messing with a few of them, but I think the the exposures were just a little too long.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

The highlights are blown out as noted. What ND filter did you use and what are the exposure parameters? I would agree that the exposures were a little too long. I would also watch your cropping. You have cropped off the bend in the first image - not a good compositional move. As waiting says, the falls themselves look like a great thing to photograph, you just have to work on the technical aspects a bit.

WesternGuy

The highlights are blown out as noted. What ND filter did you use and what are the exposure parameters? I would agree that the exposures were a little too long. I would also watch your cropping. You have cropped off the bend in the first image - not a good compositional move. As waiting says, the falls themselves look like a great thing to photograph, you just have to work on the technical aspects a bit.

WesternGuy

The cropping was basically none, I shot these with a 35mm 1.8. The ND filter I got dropped things 9 stops (hoya ND400), I shot at f22 for soaking in all detail at about 15-20 second exposures. A couple were also stacked on a CPL.

#3 was on a zoom lens, no cpl, just swapped the ND filter over. A 55-200 DX that I got off a member here. First time I actually got to use it. . . in all honesty, it was the first time I got to really get out and shoot in a long while. . . long story.

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I want to play around with this filter because I am heading down off on a cruise from Puerto Rico and want to get some shots that are different from my other travels. I like the idea of a daytime long exposure. . . I dunno, we'll see what happens. I know these were a little hot, but I think I can dial that in a bit. I should have thought more about my timing too, but, I was honestly just so glad to be out and about.

While I know they aren't technically perfect, I still am pleased and like the direction I can go with having this lil filter in the quiver. I hope for some fast moving clouds, some subtle surf, and getting some decent shots on vacation. I think I ma go down to Georgetown tomorrow and fiddle around some more, and try to get a better feel for settings.

On another note, today was a really calm day on the falls. A kayaker died a couple of weeks ago, but just for scope/scale, this is the same location when the river is running high. . .and this, is still low based on the high water marks. . .

5662526827_611f767f67_b.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back