Great Lens for Cheap!

its a plastic world that we live in.
btw, someone told me that 50mm f/1.4 doesn't produce as sharp pix as f/1.8 appearently but bokeh is better with f/1.4.

any truth to that?

Last edited:
btw, someone told me that 50mm f/1.4 doesn't produce as sharp pix as f/1.8 appearently but bokeh is better with f/1.4.

any truth to that?
I think it depends on the copy you get. I know some people have had problems with their 50mm f/1.4 and others just love it.

But I hear the same thing even for "L" lenses...some copies are just better than others. One friend hates his EF 24-70mm f/2.8 USM because it shoots soft, but another friend rarely ever takes it off his 5D because it shoots so sharp. Luck of the draw.

you'd figure the quality of all would be the same. unless there are different manufacturers who've been given the job to make some lenses for Canon. Would it qualify to be able to return it and get a sharper lens?

If I got a bad copy, I'd invoke the warranty (if the dealer wasn't willing to make a direct swap).

you'd figure the quality of all would be the same.

Even with tolerances in the single-digit microns, there is still some error.

Usually (and this isn't racist), the Japanese have been known to be the authority of quality work (Germany also comes to mind) in the world. But everyone is human.

What surprises me isn't defects, but lack of customer support. Not that IS something that can be nearly perfect.

I was thinking about getting the Nikon version of this lens. Not that it helps you out any, but Ive heard nothing but good things about it, and I cant imagine the Canon would be any worse. Good luck.

Mark

This is weird. I've never heard anyone describe the typical "nifty fifty" as anything other than the most amazing high quality glass you can get for under $1000...? Am I missing something?

I have the older version of the EF 50mm F/1.8. It is a great lens for the price. At one point, I have both the Mk II and the MK I version and later on sold the MK II.

For sure, the build quality of the MK II is not as good as the F1/.4 version nor as the MK I, but it doesn't mean it will break anytime soon. If you do not want to spend few hundred dollars for a 50mm lens, it is the way to go especially for those who only have the kit lens.

Due to the popularity of the lens because of the price/performance, it values will hold up pretty well. I bought the lens (mk II) about 1 1/2 years ago, it cost $89 at Adorama at that time, now it is $115 (adorama price). So how much do you think a used 50mm F/1.8 mk II worth now?

The bottom line is, the Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 lens is a fast, sharp, cheap, fun little lens to play with.

I don't use Canon but I do like primes. My 35 f/2 prime is my most frequently used. I pop it on in the evening for shots when I'm strolling in the street. I use my 50mm for portraits of a person with their baby or a couple with their child. If I move in close it's fine for a head shot but getting that close changes the dynamics of the shoot. The closer you get the more self-conscious the subject gets.

Baaark... your avatar...? "There is a little pee in every snow, a little snow in every pee?" :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back