Great Smokey Mountains Trip

mmcduffie1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.colorcrayon.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm headed to Gatlinburg, TN on feb 12th. Gonna be in a cabin for 4days just above the park. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what to see photographically? I hope to get in a few waterfalls but my time is limited so maybe only 1 or 2 trails. Anyways, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

There's an overlook off of the Gatlinburg bypass that's kind of cool.

Some of the streams were running pretty low when we were down in October, but I'm sure it has rained since then.

yeah, i'm gonna need to see the overlook. Nice shot by the way. I made four trips in 2006 and 2005 to Helen, GA to visit a few waterfalls before I got any decent shots due to lack of water. I'm hoping my luck is better with this trip. Thanks for the input. :)

You will enjoy the Mountains. There are several water falls just off the main road through the National Park, A hiking trail to Laural Falls is about three miles on the road to Cades Cove and is an easy uphill trail. about 1.5 miles one way. The Cove is a great place to see wildlife. Deer and bears usually. The road to Elkmont campgrounds and beyond takes you alond a small river and into an abandoned village with great houses You have to walk a little but well worth it.
Also the Cherokee Orchard Motor trail up Airport road has cabins a grist mill and lots of overlooks. A stream with several waterfalls comes down the mountain by the road. Also several trail heads are located just off the motor trail. Medcalf Bottoms picnic area has nice rocks in the Little Pigeon River and you can visit the old school house. Also along the river road are the sinks- waterfalls with overlooks. Just past Sugarlands Welcome Station on the road to New Found Gap and Cherokee is a handicapped trail with a parking area (open to all) with great water on the back side.
February is a cold month in the Mountains so be on the look out for ice and snow, and closed roads particularly in the park.
I hope this helps. If you want more, shoot me a PM and I will tell you what I know after having a house in the area for 30 some odd years.
Judge Sharpe

Awesome! You just planned my trip for me. :) Should have come here before i bought $100 worth of books and maps lol. I will certainly make those spots a must see and a must drive.

You will enjoy the Mountains. There are several water falls just off the main road through the National Park, A hiking trail to Laural Falls is about three miles on the road to Cades Cove and is an easy uphill trail. about 1.5 miles one way. The Cove is a great place to see wildlife. Deer and bears usually. The road to Elkmont campgrounds and beyond takes you alond a small river and into an abandoned village with great houses You have to walk a little but well worth it.
Also the Cherokee Orchard Motor trail up Airport road has cabins a grist mill and lots of overlooks. A stream with several waterfalls comes down the mountain by the road. Also several trail heads are located just off the motor trail. Medcalf Bottoms picnic area has nice rocks in the Little Pigeon River and you can visit the old school house. Also along the river road are the sinks- waterfalls with overlooks. Just past Sugarlands Welcome Station on the road to New Found Gap and Cherokee is a handicapped trail with a parking area (open to all) with great water on the back side.
February is a cold month in the Mountains so be on the look out for ice and snow, and closed roads particularly in the park.
I hope this helps. If you want more, shoot me a PM and I will tell you what I know after having a house in the area for 30 some odd years.
Judge Sharpe

Clingman's Dome! It was too foggy to do much when I was there, but the trail and the observatory were sweet and the view is supposed to be killer. It is the highest point "This side of the Mississippi" after all.

I agree that Clingman's Dome is a good spot if the fog isn't too heavy. One idea is to stop in one of the visitor centers right away and pick up the great book that I think is called "Photographer's Guide to the Smokies." That title may be not quite right, I don't have my copy in front of me. It helped me a lot when I was there in 2007.

A suggestion would be to head for those big overlooks at sunrise, then work the waterfalls and lower areas later in the day.

I've got a few pictures posted here:
Dakotagraph: Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Sorry I don't remember the names of the specific places off the top of my head.

Have a good trip!

Clingman's Dome! It was too foggy to do much when I was there, but the trail and the observatory were sweet and the view is supposed to be killer. It is the highest point "This side of the Mississippi" after all.

Seems access to it has been limited. Naturally that would be the case when I am here. I'm hoping they will open the route before I go.

I agree that Clingman's Dome is a good spot if the fog isn't too heavy. One idea is to stop in one of the visitor centers right away and pick up the great book that I think is called "Photographer's Guide to the Smokies." That title may be not quite right, I don't have my copy in front of me. It helped me a lot when I was there in 2007.

A suggestion would be to head for those big overlooks at sunrise, then work the waterfalls and lower areas later in the day.

I've got a few pictures posted here:
Dakotagraph: Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Sorry I don't remember the names of the specific places off the top of my head.

Have a good trip!

Wow, those are nice shots. The ones from South Dakota make me want to go there next. I might try that this fall. Thanks!

Seems access to it has been limited. Naturally that would be the case when I am here. I'm hoping they will open the route before I go.

They close the road during the winter. If you feel adventurous, you can get up to it by parking at Newfound Gap and hiking up on the Appalachian trail, I believe.

Also, if you can make it up, I hear the Chimney Tops are worthwhile as well.

If the weather craps out, drop in Jim Grays gallery in Pigeon Forge and talk to Keith. He is a Large Format photographer. His work is superb and his is one of only a few that I will spend bif bucks buying. Jim has several galleries in Gatlinburg and and Pigeon Forge but Keith manages the one across from the Old Mill in Pigeon forge. The Galeries are worth a stop if you have any interest in painting and sculpture.
Have a great time. I hope that I can get up there next month to see how our new chalet is comming along.
Judge Sharpe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back