Great Smoky Mountains National Park

FollowYourPath

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
B27E4DD7-9D9F-49EC-990F-F890FB66DAC0.jpeg

This was taken near Gatlinburg, in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Was the moss really that blue? At least it looks like it on my computer...unless you want that look. Check your computer screen settings.

Was the moss really that blue? At least it looks like it on my computer...unless you want that look. Check your computer screen settings.
Thank you very much for checking it out and your feedback. I am learning that I need to look closer at the fine details! I guess I was going for an overall look that was interesting to me, but went a bit far and made it look less natural.

@FollowYourPath. We spend a lot of time in Gatlinburg and surrounding areas. We live about 4hrs south in N. AL. Over the years I've accumulated several thousand shots through various seasons. One from the Motor Trail which is a good place to shoot that isn't far. Another location that requires a bit of a drive is
The dilapidated buildings in this abandoned settlement have an eerie, summer camp vibe to them the park service is doing revitalization so it's not quite as cool as it was, but still you can find ample opportunities for interesting shots, in an around the old buildings

Couple points about shooting there, deep in the woods and along streams there's a lot of "green", I've been in some deep gorges where I swear the air is green. Your eyes automatically adjust but your camera doesn't. You haven't mentioned what editing software you use, I use LR. I carry one of these in the field https://www.amazon.com/Serounder-Di...ocVlw3I0i8y9SgSlX8DL39e-iOOfAEcIaAgKJEALw_wcB . Whenever I change locations my first shot is of these tire cards. I then use that shot To adjust my white balance in LR, then synchronize all shots in the set.

My editing work flow starts with the best SOOC image i can get. In Lr I adjust the exposure if needed, then the WB. Next I set the White point and Black point. Finally I make the other adjustments as required to obtain the best original image as possible. At that point I create a virtual copy to make my "creative edits. That way I always have my original to go back to, and I don't have to deal with correcting color cast or other issues.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
@FollowYourPath. We spend a lot of time in Gatlinburg and surrounding areas. We live about 4hrs south in N. AL. Over the years I've accumulated several thousand shots through various seasons. One from the Motor Trail which is a good place to shoot that isn't far. Another location that requires a bit of a drive is
The dilapidated buildings in this abandoned settlement have an eerie, summer camp vibe to them the park service is doing revitalization so it's not quite as cool as it was, but still you can find ample opportunities for interesting shots, in an around the old buildings

Couple points about shooting there, deep in the woods and along streams there's a lot of "green", I've been in some deep gorges where I swear the air is green. Your eyes automatically adjust but your camera doesn't. You haven't mentioned what editing software you use, I use LR. I carry one of these in the field https://www.amazon.com/Serounder-Di...ocVlw3I0i8y9SgSlX8DL39e-iOOfAEcIaAgKJEALw_wcB . Whenever I change locations my first shot is of these tire cards. I then use that shot To adjust my white balance in LR, then synchronize all shots in the set.

My editing work flow starts with the best SOOC image i can get. In Lr I adjust the exposure if needed, then the WB. Next I set the White point and Black point. Finally I make the other adjustments as required to obtain the best original image as possible. At that point I create a virtual copy to make my "creative edits. That way I always have my original to go back to, and I don't have to deal with correcting color cast or other issues.

Great shots! Thanks for the information. I’m very new and that’s a lot to take in!! I will definitely research what you said and try to learn from it!

I or others always willing to answer questions or give instruction if you need it.
Thank you!

It's a nice shot of a beautiful area. I drive through there every year on my to Richmond, VA from Dallas. I agree that it is saturated, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It sort of has a postcard vibe to it from the late 60's or early 70's. Depending on what photo software you use, you can play around with the sliders and see what you can do with your shots. At the end of the day, your photos are yours, and you need to present them the way you like to see them. Again, it's a nice shot!

It's a nice shot of a beautiful area. I drive through there every year on my to Richmond, VA from Dallas. I agree that it is saturated, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It sort of has a postcard vibe to it from the late 60's or early 70's. Depending on what photo software you use, you can play around with the sliders and see what you can do with your shots. At the end of the day, your photos are yours, and you need to present them the way you like to see them. Again, it's a nice shot!
Thank you very much for your post! I appreciate your input!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back