Great wedding photos, unhappy clients?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinoflo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey, photo-pros. I've got a problem. The wedding went great, but the clients aren't happy with the pictures, at all. I'm sure you've dealt with that kind of client who just doesn't realize what they're looking at. *I* was told the pictures were awesome.

Anyways, I thought I'd post the pictures here and see what you thought.

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss46/kinoflo/_D3N8079.jpg

The happy couple:

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss46/kinoflo/_D3N0277.jpg
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss46/kinoflo/_D3N0829.jpg
http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss46/kinoflo/_D3N0769.jpg

Linked to fit the rules.

Last edited:
I hope you don't take offense, but if I were paying for these, I wouldn't be too happy with them. The flash is straight-on in most photos which blows out the skintone. The angles and thought behind the pictures is there. It might help if you get out of Auto. :)

Just my thoughts!

I have to kind of agree. I wouldn't be happy with these photos either for the same reasons. The dress is blown out in a few, as is the skin. Though kdbug, he was in manual not auto.

As I was looking through the photos, I was thinking the same as the previous two commenters. For example, the very first shot, I was thinking, "Wow, her cheekbone and forehead are lighting up like headlights. If you just used the clone stamp to soften those regions, it would look much better." But then I looked more at it, and there's really no depth. I would assume from context that the stairwell to the right is at least a foot or three in front of her. But, with the head-on flash, you can't tell any depth. Another symptom of the single head-on flash is that the shadow of the banister above her is very sharp black.

You're right, I apologize for the EXIF mix-up!

Sorry, but these look like some quick, thoughtless snaps that were taken by some guest using a compact camera. There's really nothing to them ... horrible lighting, ugly skin tones, no likable compositions, no feeling. I can understand why they are unhappy and I hope that you are not being paid for these photos.

Direct flash is always the wrong way to use a flash indoors. It makes people look sweaty and gross and it creates nasty, sharp shadows that are basically impossible to get rid of.

Don't be too discouraged. Clearly, you are just beginning. Everyone's first few thousand shots look like crap (mine included).

What would be good to know is: how did it go about that you were the photographer for the wedding? Is it family? A friend? A friend of a friend? Somebody who thought, "ooh, look, there's someone with one of those newfangled big cameras with the big circle thing on the front", and asked you to do it?

Wedding photography is not something you can tread lightly into on the first day you buy an SLR. Heck, I don't think I ever want to do wedding photography.

I also agree with the above... sorry, but I have to be honest.

First one has way too many distractions, what is that thing on the right anyway?

What would be good to know is: how did it go about that you were the photographer for the wedding? Is it family? A friend? A friend of a friend? Somebody who thought, "ooh, look, there's someone with one of those newfangled big cameras with the big circle thing on the front", and asked you to do it?

Snicker.. :hugs:

Do you honestly consider these "great wedding photos"? We're you paid to take them and if so did the clients hire you based on similar work?

I'm assuming your using your pop up camera flash for these? At least thats what it looks like. I think your first step in getting some better shots would be buying a speedlight and learning to bounce flash off walls and ceilings. Doing this will give you drastically better shots, softer lighting, minimized shadows, more accurate skin tones, and greatly reduce the "deer in the headlights" look that most of your photos seem to have.

Here is a great resource that I have used a lot to help you with your wedding photography:
http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/1-natural-looking-flash/

EDIT: Don't take the harsh comments from the other users badly. We all have bad shoots in the beginning, it's part of the learning experience. Just keep at it and things will get better.

Goodluck!

I'm curious to know who told you that the pictures were awesome?

I agree with what people posted here in that I wouldn't like these if they were my wedding pictures. The straight on flash, the lack lustre compositions, not getting in close to people's faces to really show a moment and limit background are all signs of a P&S camera shooter.

We all have to start somewhere, but we all need to know our limitations. A camera does not make a photographer.

I have to agree it does look like a popup flash and the white balance is all over the place too.

I also might add that in the second one, either your aperture was set to a high number or you are using a kit lens to be getting such little bokeh with the distance of the bride and groom from the minister in relation to the them to the lens. That should be way more blurred to seperate them from the background more. And, the second and fourth image are crooked if you look at the doortop and the mantle.

I wish the OP would respond back. People are trying to help even though they may seem to come off harsh. I have my first wedding this weekend as a second shooter after shooting portraits for over a year now. It takes off the pressure and I can get some practice. I'm excited!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back