Greetings Earthlings.

Keysersose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Currently living in the UK. I have £1,500 to spend to get myself started. What do you suggest. Having read Ken Rockwells blog I am inclined to go for a Nikon d7000. What are your thoughts on this camera for a beginner.

Thanks in anticipation.

The D7000 is a great camera with room for you to grow into. I have a D5100 currently and love it for what I need the camera for. If the D7000 had the swivel screen and built in HDR I would have grabbed that one instead. It looks like I will have to wait for the D7100.

I like Ken Rockwell's review of the D7000 too but you will not find much love for him here. I like him though. I also love my D7000 and I am very much an amateur. You will have to study a lot, everything from operating your camera controls to why to how-to-make an interesting photo. I think the D7000 is the best for a beginner (that can afford it) because of the great dedicated controls (not menu hunting) and it's new tech.

Purchased my d7000 a week ago today. You can't go wrong with this gem. In terms of bang for the buck, the D7000 trounces other, often more expensive cameos. In 30+ years of being
a photo enthusiast, this is the best camera I've owned.

Recommend a 18-55 vr and the 55-200 vr as first lenses. They will cover the VAST majority of your lens needs. The sb600 flash is excellent and a good value. Alternatively, the sb400 is very small, usable and efficient (but not as flexible as the sb600).

The 50mm f1.8 is a great value at about $120. You'll love portraiture with this lens.

You could eventually add a macro lens. I love my tokina 100 mm. Buy and experiment with a set of close up lenses first, they are inexpensive and if you like macro photography, invest in a lens.

T
Close up lenses can be purchased on eBay for a few dollars versus $400+ for a traditional macro. Also beware of lenses calling themselves "macro". The lens should reproduce at least up to one half life size. Most of the zooms calling themselves macro are only "close focusing at best.

Best of luck...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back