Greetings from Central NY

DannyK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone. I found this forum while doing some research as I ponder what lens to purchase next. I liked the fact that there are no snarky posts.

I have wanted to be a photographer since a friend in college first put his Nikon in my hands. I had been using an ancient 35mm rangefinder camera of my dads. Then during my time in the navy I purchased my first 35 mm SLR, a Vivitar something in boot-camp. I ended up becoming the ships photographer on the USS Spruance as part of the commissioning crew.

When I got out I purchased an Olympus OM-2 with a 50mm 1.4, a great camera with a fast lens. My passion for landscape photography that sprouted in the navy truly blossomed with this camera. I also started to shoot weddings, not something I ever truly enjoyed, but it gave me an opportunity to make some $ with my camera. I put so may rolls through it that I eventually started having problems with it. With a new family, life became real busy and there were more important needs for the money it would cost to fix it, so I went without for a while. I did eventually purchase a cheap Cannon film SLR, but Landscape photography became something I did only on vacation.

Now that the kids are grown and gone I once again can indulge my passion. I went through 2 non-SLR digital cameras before three years ago purchasing my first Nikon, the D90 and have a couple lenses, the 18-105 3.5-5.6 DX, and the 70-300 4.5-5.6 ED. It was love at first touch, and I think my wife is jealous. My eye and skill have improved considerably in 3 years.

Living in Upstate New York, I have some amazing choices for subjects. And many are practically in my backyard.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, enjoy

Most reactions

Back