Greetings from Charleston!

collk22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm in...been lurking for a few months and realized that I needed to pull the trigger to sign up in order to get C&C which is my primary reason for being here.

About me; I live in Charleston, SC and shoot most of my pictures in this area. I consider myself an 'Intermediate' level hobbyist. I've taken some classes and have a pretty good understanding of major camera functions. I recently switched to shooting primarily in RAW in order to learn to process in ACR/CS5.

Glad to be on board.

Welcome to the forum. I'll be there the 26th. Can you tell me which seafood restaurant at Shem Creek is the best anymore? I haven't ben there in years. Thanks!

Welcome to TPF! Charleston is one of my all-time favorite places to visit--absolutely beautiful area. I am itching to go again, as the last time I was there (March 2011), was just a few months before I got my DSLR. Also, it was kinda cold and dreary all but one day we were there. I was limited to my point-and-shoot. Still came away with some beautiful images.

We also ate our weight in seafood!

2Wheel, I'll be interested in the OP's recommendations, but when I was there last year, I did not have a bad experience ANYwhere we ate, and we ate at Shem Creek probably 75% of the time. RB's and the Water's Edge were both good; I don't remember some of the other places but they were all good.
However, my recommendation, hands down, would be a little out of the way place called The Wreck. Some of the locals may have to tell you exactly how to get there, because evidently a lot of GPS devices can't find it. You go past the main Shem Creek restaurants then turn into a residential area and kind of wind around a bit, but it is definitely worth the hunt. It's the only place we went to more than once.

Now, if you're looking for the glitz and glamour of a fine dining experience, The Wreck is not the place for you. The place practically looks like a little shanty, and they serve the food on paper plates--but they give you lots of it for the money, and oh my goodness, is it ever delicious!

I *really* need to go back to Charleston! :lol:

The Wreck: (that's my sister and my mother in the photo)

TheWreck by sm4him, on Flickr

The Actual Wreck that the restaurant draws its name from (though, to look at the building, you'd think they just named it what it is, A Wreck)

TheWreck2 by sm4him, on Flickr

Sorry about the quality--as I said, these were just taken with a point-and-shoot, plus I had to pull them from my FB page onto Flickr and then post them here, so they're compressed files. I didn't have the originals at work with me.

Welcome to the forum. I'll be there the 26th. Can you tell me which seafood restaurant at Shem Creek is the best anymore? I haven't ben there in years. Thanks!

The best on Shem Creek is the Wreck, as was pointed out by Sm4him. You have your choice of fried or broiled for preparation (get the fried seafood here) and I recommend going early or being prepared for a wait. It's not so bad, really. You can buy beer/wine out of a cooler and sit on the dock while you wait for your table. Directions can be a little tricky; best is to get on Live Oak Drive from Coleman and follow it around to Haddrell Street. The restaurant is next to a vertical boat storage dock. Best I can say is use the website: THE WRECK

I can't remember if they take credit now; call ahead or bring plenty of cash.

$KWC_1226.jpg

Last edited:
Hey! Nice shot of the fountain. Always looking to shoot with locals. Pm me if you're interested! Ever shoot this fountain?
$Pineapple fountian.jpg

Most reactions

Back