Gregory Crewdson

TexasJeff

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just saw Crewdson speak at the DMA and it was pretty interesting.
He touched on shooting film and printing digitally and much of his work is very elaborately staged and lit. Couple that with his digital techniques and you start to get some pretty surreal images, many that spring unexpectedly from seemingly mundane subject matter. Up until now his work has been shot with large format film although he has a new project that he would say no more about that it was in post production. He mentioned he had either shot this entirely digitally or that his next project would be I can't recall which atm. He mentioned it would be his first shot in nothing but digital which I also found interesting.
Fun times.
Edit: I realize this should be in the discussion thread Im suprised some of the forum police haven't busted my chops about it yet lol.
I won't name any names.

Last edited:
Crewdson has some fantastic images. I agree the lighting really creates an amazing surreal movie quality image. I loved him until I saw him speak here a the Cincinnati Art Museum. His images are still awesome but it was kind of a let down to here how out of the process he is.

He has a team of people helping set up each shot, including at least one professional gaffer. I just think a photographer should be more involved in his work than really just a director. At the same time I like Annie Liebovitz work so I suppose I'm a little all over the place. lol

Most reactions

Back