julie32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.juliestarkphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hello

I have a canon 20D and I just bought a sigma 24-70mm lens. The lens is heavy. Do you suggest that I get a battery grip? Or is that not necessary.

thank you so much

julie

PS try and say "get a grip julie" as nice as possible! LOL.

Grips are a fairly personal thing...some people don't like them, some love them and some can't shoot without them.

A battery grip would probably help to 'get a grip' on the camera while shooting with a heavy lens...but maybe all you need to do is alter the way you hold the camera. With heavier lenses, you may need to support the lens more and the camera less.

Also, battery grips are great when shooting in portrait orientation because they give you a better place to press the release button. Not to mention the added battery life. Another good thing is the strap clip on the side so that you can use a hand strap.

One thing to consider is that adding a grip (plus another battery) will add even more weight to the camera. So if it's just the weight that's bothering you...it may not be a great idea.

I've been considering one for my 20D but I still can't justify the cost. Locally they are about $200 or more for the Canon ones. There are knock-offs avaliable on E-bay, some of which are apparently made in the same factory and just as good...but I still haven't got one.

Go weight training and............... Get a grip, Julie! :lol:

Sorry, I'm really not sure but I just wanted to say it! A grip should help along with getting used to the weight & maybe a good strap to give your arms a rest? (God I feel like a TPF salesman today!) Included the link to the strap not for the brownie points but because it's a really good strap & makes the camera feel much lighter around your neck.

if the grip would only mean making the camera more comfortable because of a heavy lens, only you can decide whether you need it or not. Go to a camera shop and try the difference.
Otherwise, you might need the grip because of the extras it gives you -and that, again, only you can decide whether you need those extras or not
Personally, I don't like grips, since they make cameras bulkier; but then that's only my personal preferences, and who cares!

:shock:
When I started replying there were no replies yet... and only took me a couple of minutes to write my comment!
so you're fast, indeed!

I use the Canon battery grip for my 30d and really like it. At first, I balked at the price but was so very happy I had gotten it. It makes holding the camera easier for me. There is the benefit that Mike mentioned which is shooting in the portrait orientation which I tend to do a lot of.

My heaviest lens is the 85mm f1.2L. The grip seems to balance the system for me. I don't have the 70-200mm f2.8L yet. I am only about a week away from ordering.(Separate off topic party post to follow)

I should mention the obvious advantage of an incredibly long period between charging batteries.

If the battery grip were going to take the place of a lens, I would say don't do it yet, otherwise, it is high on my list.

:thumbup:

Yea its a personal thing.
I always tell people that cameras are alot like guns in that each one fits a diff person differently. Poor example, but a balanced firearm means you keep your weapon on target more accurately. The same goes for cameras. A balanced camera will ultimately mean greater comfort for you, a steadier shot, and usually more juice to work with.

I gripped my D20 since it started hurting to carry it around all day. I have pretty big hands and would support the bottom of the camera with my pinkie which started aching after a while. The grip gave me a comfortable place to put it.

But it adds weight and size, so it doesn't suit everyone. If you need extra batteries buy them. They take less then 10 seconds to swap.

Most reactions

Back