Grist Mill Comparison

cleary71

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I know you are only supposed to put up one picture per thread, but I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone. I would love to hear feedback, the harsher the better and which one of the two you prefer, if either. I like the color on the one on the right, but wondered if the hanging branches take away from it, so I figure I would run it best all of you . . . the experts.

grist2.jpg

Experts? Looks like an expert took this! Great photos!

#1 - I like that you show the depth of the mill and the branches are not present.

#2 - I love the saturated colors and rock formation in the stream. toobad the wheel wasn't spinning; would have a touch more motion.

Hmmmm, I honestly don't know how to help you cause both appeal.

Isn't this in VA or NC? I know there are several throughout the nation, but this one looks familar.

I think the colors and the angle of the shot in number 2 are better. The white area on the roof in number one is distracting.

I agree that the colors are better in photograph number 2, however, the angle of view is better in number one. When photographing buildings, I always try to get at an angle other than straight on to keep the shot from being flat and emphasizing the two dimensional limitations of photography.

The second shot being straight onto the side of the mill eliminates any depth and renders the building as flat against the background.

The colors and contrast on #2 make it a better shot. Also the upper left corner of #1 seems a little washed out. A little tighter cropping at the top of #2 would cut down the distraction of the branches.

Most reactions

Back