Group Portraits in Low Light Ballroom

clarke65c

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a bride that wants to do family/wedding party portraits in front of the alter and hoopa they have set up inside a hotel ballroom, low light setting, hoopa lit at each of the four posts from the floor. The main downlights and chandeliers in the ballroom are on dimmers, so we can play with those. Also, the walls will be bathed in white cloth with blue led's shooting up the walls. Do you think that for a group of a maximum of probably 16 people in one shot that I'll be able to produce sufficient light for the group from my 580EXII with Cloud Lightsphere? Any suggestions on how to arrange that many people in that setting, probably won't be any stairs either? This would be a shot with the entire wedding party together. Or do I need to consider bringing in additional lighting? If so, WHAT?!!

I don't know the flash in question, but I wouldn't trust any single flash under the conditions you've described. I would guess that two diffuse strobes, one about 2/3 of the way down each side (assuming the camera is in the middle) would be needed.

Not sure what you mean by "Won't be any stairs"...

It is always a good idea to get some chairs or benches (or anything they can sit on) and have the older people sit or people with small children to sit with the children in the laps.

Most reactions

Back