Groupon rant

I think groupon takes 50% of each sale. So their cut from the $69 sale is $34.50.

600 deals, factor in a % wont redeem the coupons before the deadline because they forgot, lost it, or just didnt care. Probably 3 hours invested in each portrait its better than working at walmart for 45 weeks.

If I was to do a groupon deal, I would give low res images, no prints and limited portrait time. That way they can purchase prints or full size images and get more sales, and even buy more sitting time.

well, it wouldn't be as bad if you had your own studio though. I've seen them where they are the "environmental sessions" which take well more than an hour to do. At least with studio sessions you could do one after another and it wouldn't cost as much time.

True.. this one she says she will drive up 25 miles LOL.

yeah, for that sort of thing it's absolutely ridiculous. Although, I suppose if they are relatively new they could be trying to get their name out there. I mean, it would be crazy work for a year or two, but people love your work and maybe you get some bigger gigs through word of mouth. I mean... I guess it could jumpstart your popularity.

Here's a link for all the Groupon info (business).

I totally understand it if lets say she sells like 50 coupons just to get her name out there.. but 600? Come on. Maybe Ill do a groupon for $50, sell 2000 of them and then leave the country. LOL JK.

Well, supposedly with Groupon they only use quality companies. So, theoretically they try to decide if you're big enough to handle what you are offering, and that you provide a quality service. So, theoretically people wouldn't leave the country, but I can see what you are saying. Really you wouldn't make much at all for the amount of time put in.

On the bright side it is guaranteed income so if you had to quit or something or hire out your post processing to make it work you could do so.

There's no way the people are going to book a year or more in advance! Or even 3 months! The refund rate must be horrendous!

I am the person who ran this Groupon and just came upon this thread. It is obviously old BUT i thought I would add my own knowledge about MY groupon and the experience i have had with them. I would say that Groupon was INCREDIBLY successful for me. Since my ad ran in August i have done about 1/4 of my sessions and would say that almost EVERY one of them has bought something additional with more than 50% spending over $200 and about 10% spending OVER $500!!! I have had MANY repeat customers already and people who saw my ad but didnt purchase for whatever reason have also bought full priced sessions! The redemption rate is supposed to be about 60% with Groupon and I am already paid so if people do not use them it isnt anything off my back.

I would say Groupon isnt for everyone but for me in this economy it has opened doors that i couldnt imagine. I now have my own studio and feel so blessed!

Welcome to the forum msappleberry!

I wish groupon would come to my area so I could run an special. :)

2 things, she will take 50% of the coupon value, Groupon will get the rest, and 80% to 90% will utilize the groupon. The issue is that she could have my ability (which is awful).

I am the person who ran this Groupon and just came upon this thread. It is obviously old BUT i thought I would add my own knowledge about MY groupon and the experience i have had with them. I would say that Groupon was INCREDIBLY successful for me. Since my ad ran in August i have done about 1/4 of my sessions and would say that almost EVERY one of them has bought something additional with more than 50% spending over $200 and about 10% spending OVER $500!!! I have had MANY repeat customers already and people who saw my ad but didnt purchase for whatever reason have also bought full priced sessions! The redemption rate is supposed to be about 60% with Groupon and I am already paid so if people do not use them it isnt anything off my back.

I would say Groupon isnt for everyone but for me in this economy it has opened doors that i couldnt imagine. I now have my own studio and feel so blessed!

I also have used groupon for my studios and with HUGE success.

The real redemption rate seems to be under 50%. The key for groupons working for photographers is not giving away to much but still have a great deal. We did a studio session, 8x10,2-5x7's and 8 wallets of 1 pose for $12. We sold 1500 and booked 88 sessions that day. Our studio sales avg is about $250 and our groupon avg is about $150.

Jamie Rat, what you are doing is making sense. Plus you do the shots in your studio.

I just updated my original post with the ad. She was giving away 15 high res. files with that $69. Part of me still doesnt belive someone would spend more money after they have 15 high resolustion files.

Jamie Rat, what you are doing is making sense. Plus you do the shots in your studio.

I just updated my original post with the ad. She was giving away 15 high res. files with that $69. Part of me still doesnt belive someone would spend more money after they have 15 high resolustion files.

I would tend to agree. I wouldnt give away hi res images. I have a groupon going out tomorrow that is a 1hr on location shoot and a 8x10 for $49. Our onlocation sales avg is about $800- $1000 right now and I would hope to sell about 100-200 of these tomorrow

Most reactions

Back