Groupon rant

For all the groupon "Haters" I guess none of you want or need new clients and you have money growing on trees.

No mater what Groupon gets you new customers!!! There are different arguments on what offer to put up. I tend to do a low price offer of one pose knowing that the client will like more poses and we will sell them more. Others focus on their 50% cut they get and hope for the repeat client. Both can work and both generate new clients for the photographer.

I am a fan of groupon. I was ranting about that particular groupon JamieRat.

Groupon is awesome!

I have seen on this board that many photographers are not too business savvy. Things like loss leaders, cost of customer acquisition, etc are not in the vocabulary. Groupon or not, companies use coupons, rebates and other tactics to boost sales and generate traffic and it costs them a fraction of the potential. Once the customer knows your name, sees your product, it's up to you to capitalize. Capital....a bad word among the arteests. And the only way to pay the bills.

I sent in my business to be 'approved' today by groupon. How long does that take?

Anyways, the offer I would be doing would be the usual 50$-75$ one hour session with a 11x14. NO DIGITAL FILES. They can pay another 300$ or more (haven't decided) for the files or order more prints. I'm going to make them pick the print onsite. I haven't decided when I'd try to do the up sells. Maybe onsite, or when I deliver the 11X14 or via web, etc. any ideas?

I think it's key that they don't get any files unless they pay extra and that the print they do get is too big to be scanned with a normal home scanner.

I think my main question about all this that I'm still trying to answer myself is when to do the upsell. It seems wierd to do it at the session when the images don't look their best and at the same time if I get a ton of clients it could be hard to meet with everyone to give them their 11x14.

Anyways, I'm gonna give it a shot cause I want to grow my portrait business (I mostly do weddings)

-Dave

From my experience its easier to guide a sales session in person, but its also more time consuming.

I talked to them on the phone and the 1 hour session with a 11X14 is in the works. I'll keep you guys updated if it works. I'm not sure how much business will be generated since I'm not whoring out my images.

I guess my biggest thing now it going to be figuring how to do the upsell. (preferably the day of.

-Dave

Whatever you do, you better have the shopping cart ready.

Haha yeah I know, ideally I'd be happy with 50 coupons sold. I found a guy in Vancouver (a lot bigger city than here) that did this exact coupon and he had 140 people or something. Which I think is manageable. I think the lack of giving away the images will lower the amount sold which is fine with me.

how about 560? Like the OP :)

For those of you who have done this, how long does it take for them to respond. I have submitted a request online but have yet to hear back.

I am interested to see how this pans out for you. Good luck!

Here's one local to me but this one is for event photography and expires in a year

$75 for a 1.5-Hour On-Location Photography Session Plus One 11" x 14" Print ($250 Value) from Event Horizon Fotografie

They only sold 11 so far though. What if they sell over 365 of them? Each one of these will take up a whole day with processing and all...

I can't post the link but it's in Harrisburg, PA

Most reactions

New Topics

Back