Groupon rant

Swoop: So how goes the groupon thing. Can you tell us, how they send you payment and what you have learned good and bad through this so far. thanks Im sure I wont be the only one who will appreciate it. :)

Hello,

To answer the payment question, you receive three cheques for a third of your payment. One every 30 days or so it seems like. So far i've only booked about 10% of my groupon people, and only actually shot 2 of them. So I don't have a whole lot of knowledge yet! I dono maybe I won't book that many of them after its all said and done. Ill let you guys know more once I know more.

Too bad this offer is already sold out. It's one fine deal!!! :)

So does this mean I can get 9 hours of wedding photography for 414?

I know this is a very old thread but I was wondering, Dave, how is it going?

-Shawn

Hey shawn, things have been going great. Most of my groupon customers purchase about $300 worth of up sells. After the shoot. Also, I've done about 20% of the clients and I really can't see doing much more than 50% pod them before the coupon expires but maybe ill get a flood of calls at Christmas

I talked to a photographer from Kansas City last weekend while at a seminar who did a Groupon deal.

A $99 portrait with an 8x10 (unframed) print for $49. Studio only by appointment. Client comes in, he spends 10 minutes getting them posed, takes 5 pictures. Shows them the unedited pictures in Lightroom on his computer, they pick one, he gets them a print within 10 days they can pick up at his studio. Altogether he said he got the process down to 30 minutes per client and he says he's upsold 5x7's, wallets and larger prints to 75% of the people who come in with an average of $300 (must be a magic number). He also sells the 5 edited photos on disc at web resolution for $30.

He said he maxed out at the 2,000 limit he set and he set the expiration at 18 months. Restrictions include no evening or weekend appointments and appointments subject to availability. The deal expires this coming September and he said only about 35% to 40% have been redeemed. He also said that if anyone calls to make an appointment AFTER it expires, he'll allow them to use the Groupon as a "50% off coupon" and they'd only have to pay the remaining $50 balance.

I am the person who ran this Groupon and just came upon this thread. It is obviously old BUT i thought I would add my own knowledge about MY groupon and the experience i have had with them. I would say that Groupon was INCREDIBLY successful for me. Since my ad ran in August i have done about 1/4 of my sessions and would say that almost EVERY one of them has bought something additional with more than 50% spending over $200 and about 10% spending OVER $500!!! I have had MANY repeat customers already and people who saw my ad but didnt purchase for whatever reason have also bought full priced sessions! The redemption rate is supposed to be about 60% with Groupon and I am already paid so if people do not use them it isnt anything off my back.

I would say Groupon isnt for everyone but for me in this economy it has opened doors that i couldnt imagine. I now have my own studio and feel so blessed!

LOLOLOL

this is so fishy... I'm like 98% sure that Msappleberry works for Groupon. Groupon was/is in the gutter and trying to get some good PR. Poorly vieled with a newly registered account 1 poster with a "too good to be true" success story.

:lol:

It's from a year ago today.

Sure, why not?

We've had several threads calling people out, and those people appearing to defend themselves.

It's from a year ago today.

Sure, why not?

We've had several threads calling people out, and those people appearing to defend themselves.

One poster, unbelievable success story plugging a struggling company, never to be seen or heard from again.

i'm no detective but that doesnt seem to add up. cmon now..

:lol:

yeah... i call it bull **** too. Really.. people arent stupid. Once they have the files, you cant up sell them anything. There is no way she would make that much more than what she got from 50% of the deal.

groupon is struggling? I thought they were making billlions?

yet another bunch of professional photographers whining about the market for their inability to remain competitive.

Most reactions

Back