Growing Up

Nice idea. As far as the aesthetic goes the background is very distracting: maybe you could try again with this in mind.

That was in the midst of gaming time of my nephews outside my house.
They were not posed but playing in the garden :)
so, I could not choose the background

Thnx for your comment.

I like the expressions and "action" of the scene ... Some of the highlights might be blown in the background? I might not use the vignette ...

If you're using Photoshop CC (that's the only version I've ever used, I'm a newb) try working with the BW / Curve / selective color / saturation adjustment layers, and see if you can add some contrast and a shade less midtones. I've had a lot of good results with those.

EDIT: Also, may try using a bit slower shutter speed and see if a little motion blur makes it more pleasing to you.

Question, I lived in Patra for one year. I remember a small church that had a hand of a Saint in a glass case. I tried to find this little church two years ago. I asked several people, and no one had ever heard or seen of it. It's close to where you took the above photo. Will you make it a mission to find and photograph the hand in the glass case at the small church in Patra?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thnx for your comment.
No, but you could control it. A shallow aperture could have rendered the focus more softly, fill flash would have allowed you to darken it... there are almost always options!

I like the expressions and "action" of the scene ... Some of the highlights might be blown in the background? I might not use the vignette ...

If you're using Photoshop CC (that's the only version I've ever used, I'm a newb) try working with the BW / Curve / selective color / saturation adjustment layers, and see if you can add some contrast and a shade less midtones. I've had a lot of good results with those.

EDIT: Also, may try using a bit slower shutter speed and see if a little motion blur makes it more pleasing to you.

I think I agree with you in the vignette. At times I go overboard and I don't notice at the time.. Seeing the photo again after a while I see things that I should do different. Regarding the highlights, I don't mind there to be a bit more bright. I used mainly lightroom on that photo for BW conversion,contrast,etc. I used photoshop to completely remove an adult that was behind the kids but I didn't create any adjustement layers there.

If I had a flash on the camera, it would be a cool effect the rear flash on this photo.. to show some motion trail but also
have the faces sharp. Without a flash slower shutter would definately blur the faces and that would be the last thing I would want.

Thank you for your comment!

Question, I lived in Patra for one year. I remember a small church that had a hand of a Saint in a glass case. I tried to find this little church two years ago. I asked several people, and no one had ever heard or seen of it. It's close to where you took the above photo. Will you make it a mission to find and photograph the hand in the glass case at the small church in Patra?

I live here for 17 years and my wife all her life, but we don't know of a church with that kind of relic. It could be a "visiting" occation what you mention (some times churhes organize this kind of "tours" of relics). At any case I'll ask a couple of local priests I know and if there is, I will go visit.

Thnx for your comment.
No, but you could control it. A shallow aperture could have rendered the focus more softly, fill flash would have allowed you to darken it... there are almost always options!

While I agree with you in principle, that there is some kind of control on the backround, I think in this case would not have offered much. The aperture here is 7.1 and I could go down to 5.3 but it would not make much of a difference since the backround is so close to the kids. Since this is actually a snapshot of a joyful moment I could not reposition them or make them hold/repeat to go get my flash. The camera was at hand, I saw a nice moment developing, got ready and grabbed the shot.

In the aftermath, I now see that the PP should be better and I should minimize the background's "noise" making it more subtle. That is something I intend to try when I'll revisit the photo. I am thinking a photoshop lense blur to make a more pleasant background.. and less contrastry.

I appreciate your opinion.

maybe something like this.... I did a quick edit to get a look of what I had in mind (I messed up somewhere in my selection but its ok to see the change in the photo)
Growing%20Up2.jpg

I live here for 17 years and my wife all her life, but we don't know of a church with that kind of relic. It could be a "visiting" occation what you mention (some times churhes organize this kind of "tours" of relics). At any case I'll ask a couple of local priests I know and if there is, I will go visit.
Thanks I know you will find it! It was there in the center of the shrine or church. Real small parking lot. Almost top of Patra closer to the right part of town with the sea to your back.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back