Grr... Facebook is stupid.

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My wife finally convinced me to join facebook. I've been telling her all along that it's stupid and pointless, but she was on me about it so I figured it was unfair to judge without really seeing it.

Sure enough, I was right. It's stupid.

Anyway, to top off the general stupidity of it, random people I don't know tend to send me "friend invites". I generally blow them off, but this one was one my wife felt was a nice person who was friends with many of her friends... so why not?

fine... I begrudgingly accept the invite.

Not more than an hour or so later, she starts asking me questions...

Now I'm kind of a privacy guy... I don't think people need to really know details about my life or anyone elses, unless it happens to be necessary. And she's like asking me "So where do you live?"

I check with my wife and am like "Um, should I be telling this woman where I live?" I figure... anyone who is a friend is a friend, right? Should be ok, I suppose. She's not asking my blood type.

Note to self: don't ask my wife for tips on privacy issues.

So anyway I tell her. To be polite, I ask her where she lives. She tells me. Great. Hunkey dorey.

Then I get this...

"I will be having my second annual St Jude's fund raiser
and last year had a photographer donate his time/film to capture the event
is that something you would want to do?"

Great. Yeah. Some random person I don't know is basically asking me to give them my time and effort to some random cause I know nothing about.

I'm sure it's all lovely and wonderful and a big great thing and that's fine. I just really hate it when people have the audacity to not only put someone on the spot about charities, but go a step further and just assume you'll toss in your photography along with it.

Bah.

:grumpy:

Free free to can it whenever you like. I joined after my sister invited me. Then she keeps sending me all these dumb games to play. Whatever! I un-registered, goodbye, life's too short.

Do what I do on FB. Give them a load of crap, or generalise on your info. I never give personal info to anyone. And I dont play all of those stupid apps they keep sending.

meh I joined up and yes I get all the games invites - which I ignor.
What I do like is keeping it as an online - self updating address book!
I find it so easy when you move schools or go to uni and beyond to lose contact with people - you take a number and it changes - addresses change - bits of paper go away.
But most people have a facebook - so one can get in contact from time to time

Pretty cheeky of her to have hit you up for free services so quickly (if at all)! I hope you replied along the lines of 'I'm not interested."

Free free to can it whenever you like. I joined after my sister invited me. Then she keeps sending me all these dumb games to play. Whatever! I un-registered, goodbye, life's too short.

Yeah, it's kinda stupid like that. I'll probably just stop logging in so I can keep the "free auto-updating address book" thing going.

Do what I do on FB. Give them a load of crap, or generalise on your info. I never give personal info to anyone. And I dont play all of those stupid apps they keep sending.

Yeah, I had considered that but was kind of expecting everyone on there was going to be someone who I was friendly enough with that I wouldn't have to lie to... not so sure about that anymore. :lol:

meh I joined up and yes I get all the games invites - which I ignor.
What I do like is keeping it as an online - self updating address book!
I find it so easy when you move schools or go to uni and beyond to lose contact with people - you take a number and it changes - addresses change - bits of paper go away.
But most people have a facebook - so one can get in contact from time to time

The whole games thing is bizarre... they're not even games. It's like "click and get random result!" --- "repeat 10000x" --- "win meaningless points!" --- "give random point related thing to your friend!"

Bizarre.

Pretty cheeky of her to have hit you up for free services so quickly (if at all)! I hope you replied along the lines of 'I'm not interested."

Yeah, pretty much. I told her there was no way I could commit to something like that off the cuff without significant additional detail. (basically, hoping she would give me enough detail that I would find an easy out buried in there somewhere) She said she'd get back to me. I'm hoping she won't. :confused:

oh dear.

sometimes facebook is pointless... often useless.

But sometimes fun ;)

It's actually pretty useful sometimes. Not many of my friends check their emails anymore...

As for the applications and games, I've blocked every single one of them and am no longer bothered...

I still get chain emails, though.

I do so enjoy your posts!!! :hug:: LOL!!

Yeah, I haven't "given in" either...I refuse! What's the point really? I keep in touch with people that I want to keep in touch with.

I think with facebook, if you stay away from joining networks, your pretty much off the grid except to your actual friends or family.

i have a facebook, but it is turned off. I don't use it much.

WARNING: The following post contains sarcasm and is prone to occasional ranting. Of course, anyone who knows me will take this as basically "par for the course". :)

I do so enjoy your posts!!! :hug:: LOL!!

You do? :lol: Or was that sarcasm? I'M ASCARED!!! :lol:

Yeah, I haven't "given in" either...I refuse! What's the point really? I keep in touch with people that I want to keep in touch with.

The point? The point is clearly so you can play the following "games" with all your friends...

1. Pimpwars : Where you "buy" a pimp, and then fight someone elses pimp for points (insert random number generator here), and then you can get "better" pimps.
  2. Grillwars: Where you "buy" a gas grill, and then fight someone elses gas grill for points (insert random number generator here), and then you can get "better" gas grill.
  3. Spaceshipwars: Where you "buy" a Spaceship, and then fight someone elses Spaceship for points (insert random number generator here), and then you can get "better" Spaceship.
THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ABSOLUTELY ENDLESS!!!!! :confused:

I think with facebook, if you stay away from joining networks, your pretty much off the grid except to your actual friends or family.

i have a facebook, but it is turned off. I don't use it much.

Yeah, I basically check in every few days to see if any of my ex-girlfriends found me so I can check out their pictures and see if they got all fat. :lmao:

:lol:

Wow, I'm on FIAH this evening. :lol:

eh, I find it less pointless/annoying than myspace. On facebook I'm only "friends" with people I was actually friends with in high school or that are in current classes

<snip..>

to some random cause I know nothing about.

St. Judes

"About St. Jude

St. Jude is unlike any other pediatric treatment and research facility. Discoveries made here have completely changed how the world treats children with cancer and other catastrophic diseases. St. Jude is a place where many doctors send some of their sickest patients and toughest cases. A place where cutting-edge research and revolutionary discoveries happen every day. We've built America's second-largest health-care charity so the science never stops.

All patients accepted for treatment at St. Jude are treated without regard to the family's ability to pay."

---------------------------------
"Dinners, Galas, Local Events
Thanks to the generosity of St. Jude advocates across the country, more than 500 dinners, galas, sporting events and more are hosted each year and generate both tremendous dollars and exposure for St. Jude. A few examples: For 17 years, Wall Street executives have organized and hosted the annual Taste of New York each November, raising more than $25 million for St. Jude. In Chicago, executives from the banking, advertising, insurance, law, medical and home building industries have attended The Four Stars of Chicago Restaurant Extravaganza, raising more than $3.5 million. And in Miami, actress and supermodel Daisy Fuentes has helped launch the high-profile Angels and Stars Gala.

The list of events is extensive, as is the generosity of the hosts and participants. It is this foundation of community support that reinforces St. Jude as a place of hope, which impacts children across the country and around the world."

More at St Judes Fundraising

["You do? :lol: Or was that sarcasm? I'M ASCARED!!! :lol:']

No, I really do!!! I enjoy your humour!!! :eyebrows: LOL!!

Well I had FB and My Space for like a whole week. I havent looked at either for over a year. I got tired of the invites from people wanting to sell me stuff or, come see their bands. I already support St Judes myself that and, feed the children, which actually uses most of the money to feed kids.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back