Grrrr..... Cant figure out that nice crisp image with the blurred background! HELP!

amg said:
Holy Crap that is totally cool Thank you rkt!!!!!! and lol I have seen that meter I thought it was to adjust exsposure yes go ahead and laugh..... I was swearing at my camera last and wondering why it would let me adjust it lmao..... Wooohoo I feel like I found a new toy :)

-......0.......+ <-----meter will look something like this. And it is to adjust exposure. Changing your aperture and shutter speed will adjust exposure and change the meter reading.....

6963657489_265cfb7ca0_b.jpg
You mean like this?
Mmm no idea...it just comes out that way.

Shoot wide open, zoom in.

done.

Soooo I figured out my meter....Thank you all!!!! And got some nice shots with blur and didnt cut off any heads (needed to work on that too) I am having computer problems right now but I was able to et one pic up so I will share it :)IMG_2824 by ashleymg, on Flickr
I will post a C&C later when I get that sorted out and hopefully you all can keep throwing the fantastic advice my way :)

Soooo I figured out my meter....Thank you all!!!! And got some nice shots with blur and didnt cut off any heads (needed to work on that too) I am having computer problems right now but I was able to et one pic up so I will share it :)IMG_2824 by ashleymg, on Flickr
I will post a C&C later when I get that sorted out and hopefully you all can keep throwing the fantastic advice my way :)

Like use a flash for fill! Or at least a reflector! Those eyes have some serious shadows going on..... and the highlights on the faces are strange! How did you edit these?

That's not a bad portrait. I agree that it needs a little creative lighting though.

It looks like it's shot under overcast skies. I would take an external strobe and set it at a 45 from the left bouncing off a gold reflector to add some warmth and side shadow to give more depth to the subjects faces.

Also, the background while out of focus still has too much detail that is a little destracting.

Last edited:

IMG_2824-2 by ashleymg, on Flickr

Here is the original I am editing with Lightroom 4 I downloaded free trial so I am playing around with the settings trying to figure it out and what everything does. I cant afford a flash or any lighting right now but want some very badly cause all my pictures seem to have shadows very annoying. I dont know if its me but I see the shadows under the eyes but I dont see the highlights on the face??? Ughhhhh..... any suggestions on how to brighten them up or how to avoid these shadows without lighting? It was a cloudy day and I will look into a reflector..... Gonna google light like crazy!!!!
Also how is my exposure and composition????? Am I on the right track or way of base????
I think I am going to start a new post I am wondering if I am improving at all.....
I Def need help with editing!!

Here is the original I am editing with Lightroom 4 I downloaded free trial so I am playing around with the settings trying to figure it out and what everything does. I cant afford a flash or any lighting right now but want some very badly cause all my pictures seem to have shadows very annoying. I dont know if its me but I see the shadows under the eyes but I dont see the highlights on the face??? Ughhhhh..... any suggestions on how to brighten them up or how to avoid these shadows without lighting? It was a cloudy day and I will look into a reflector..... Gonna google light like crazy!!!!
Also how is my exposure and composition????? Am I on the right track or way of base????
I think I am going to start a new post I am wondering if I am improving at all.....
I Def need help with editing!!

If you are only working with available light there is very little you can do other than turn your subjects this way or that. If you want to be able to capture really nice portraits an external lighting source is pretty much a must have item. I have an Nikon SB-600 that I got off of Craigslist for $200....so keep your eyes open for deals like that and you can save lotsa-dollas.

The exposure is spot on. The only things I would say about the composition is try to make sure that the background isn't too busy and you might have even pulled back (or lowered the frame) a smidge to let a little railroad track into the foreground.

Also, keep your eyes open for older versions of Photoshop people sometimes put up for sale.....most of the latest versions have only added workflow improvements, not so much photo-editing tools, so don't think you're missing out if you don't get the latest release.

Fill light, by definition, is on the lens axis.

Consequently, you can use the built-in flash to provide fill. Be sure you use the camera's red-eye reduction feature.

The other thing you need to do is put the built-in flash in manual mode and reduce the power output to use the light for fill. Start with the flash set to about 1/4 power and adjust from there as necessary.

Using flash outside allows for making some pretty nice photographs - dg28.com - photographer education

Most reactions

New Topics

Back