Guacamayo

Vicsan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello!

This is my second thread here in TPF. I'm trying to improve my photography by getting as much coments on them as I can, so any kind of idea, comment would be really appreciatted C:

AS0hCfvV0nq777GayItUbk2ZSOrtUrisJg43KycPWp3iZPNHUG5IoBml1cvbwJyv8aq1tQIMedHqIE178D-hGCsDWZEjDmeI2sLN5Ma8_LalejWrDBR8w66TltAb86KZeh3_xLnY8-p0MGw52z1duW_-PcM0nZwVnMeWkRcQshlYhlacYYRx3mlAIJHkqr3JIUzTG7MOLO7ceWpB8L5KiAxiDKIiqn2p3Z7N7t6pySs2nKh3lZ2ZHAVopBZAkZnYAHqd2Lg6-jyiu8IZZ-Q6zecyXYFIyHyaotQFTuSynys-zbiznXqmVrrhoBgrfiQQJpJsCVTIMbBC77R41dSxoeEtZ2lYLKdeuBf5z_ji-knkQChvU79kF-9ROZ_-B_kXRk9msWvuj7M3zrb84nUsYOtAWooKUFE_cjfj6TwOhs5MdHWTEhAsPq6LiCyKxy367LxvQ9nyV6o8033cZp1ojIpbtLuRS0P3OUysNcx1Buo9eAfpa4JhKDDafMlf1jja9y7t4DJrd70SnzK84lLI6f__5rDaxl-bs-TS_1KqgdzaX0KVEukhjV9k00Qb1UgJu2mBEKcItvluAcwznuu0y7IdnA=w474-h631-no

The settings were:

SS: 1/125
Focal leght: 200 mm
Aperture: f5.6
ISO: 400

I wanted to show both bird in focus but the rope closest to the camera out of focus, from what I see the brird far behind is a bit blured.
Well, as I said, any comments or ideas would be really appreciatted.

Thanks

that wold be a a Macaw not a peacock..

if you want them both in focus you need to try something like f/16 where the depth of field will not be so shallow but than you may start having issues with getting enough light in the camera.

generally 1/500 is the slowest shutter speed you want for birds that are not flying.. birds move around and you'll often get motion blur with a slower shutter speed.

it looks like everything turned out pretty good to me.. i can blow up the shot to view it larger but from what i am seeing i would be happy with that shot.. i would probably bring up the exposure a bit more.. it looks slightly under exposed.

if you want them both in focus you need to try something like f/16 where the depth of field will not be so shallow but than you may start having issues with getting enough light in the camera.

generally 1/500 is the slowest shutter speed you want for birds that are not flying.. birds move around and you'll often get motion blur with a slower shutter speed.

it looks like everything turned out pretty good to me.. i can blow up the shot to view it larger but from what i am seeing i would be happy with that shot.. i would probably bring up the exposure a bit more.. it looks slightly under exposed.

Ups! xD my bad, I was goign to show a photo of a peacock but at the end I preferd this one.
One question, If I use f16 can I still get the rope near the camera out of focus?

One question, If I use f16 can I still get the rope near the camera out of focus?
Maybe. The depth of view, or area in focus, from front to back, is determined by a few things - the aperture, the distance between the subject and the camera, the size on the film/sensor and the magnification (related to focal length of the lens). If you focus on the right spot, you can keep the foreground out of focus, but it can be tricky.

You can try this, at home: Put a bottle, can or other object on a table or bench, one to two feet from the camera (it helps if you have a tripod). Place another one to two foot behind the first, then a third object about the same distance from the second. Set them so you can see all three items. Now set the lent to the largest aperture (the smallest number). If you're not used to shooting full manual, set the camera to Aperture Priority. In turn, focus on each of the three objects and shoot, Now do the same with an aperture in the middle of the lens's range (probably f/8 or so), and again at the smallest aperture (probably f/22). This will give you an idea on how the aperture affects DOF. Then you can d things like move closer or farther from the objects, change your zoom setting, etc.

Something like this:

Oh, and in ref to your shot . . . it's a nice try. I do find whatever is sticking up from the rope in the foreground distracting, but otherwise I think it's OK.

Hello!

This is my second thread here in TPF. I'm trying to improve my photography by getting as much coments on them as I can, so any kind of idea, comment would be really appreciatted C:

AS0hCfvV0nq777GayItUbk2ZSOrtUrisJg43KycPWp3iZPNHUG5IoBml1cvbwJyv8aq1tQIMedHqIE178D-hGCsDWZEjDmeI2sLN5Ma8_LalejWrDBR8w66TltAb86KZeh3_xLnY8-p0MGw52z1duW_-PcM0nZwVnMeWkRcQshlYhlacYYRx3mlAIJHkqr3JIUzTG7MOLO7ceWpB8L5KiAxiDKIiqn2p3Z7N7t6pySs2nKh3lZ2ZHAVopBZAkZnYAHqd2Lg6-jyiu8IZZ-Q6zecyXYFIyHyaotQFTuSynys-zbiznXqmVrrhoBgrfiQQJpJsCVTIMbBC77R41dSxoeEtZ2lYLKdeuBf5z_ji-knkQChvU79kF-9ROZ_-B_kXRk9msWvuj7M3zrb84nUsYOtAWooKUFE_cjfj6TwOhs5MdHWTEhAsPq6LiCyKxy367LxvQ9nyV6o8033cZp1ojIpbtLuRS0P3OUysNcx1Buo9eAfpa4JhKDDafMlf1jja9y7t4DJrd70SnzK84lLI6f__5rDaxl-bs-TS_1KqgdzaX0KVEukhjV9k00Qb1UgJu2mBEKcItvluAcwznuu0y7IdnA=w474-h631-no

The settings were:

SS: 1/125
Focal leght: 200 mm
Aperture: f5.6
ISO: 400

I wanted to show both bird in focus but the rope closest to the camera out of focus, from what I see the brird far behind is a bit blured.
Well, as I said, any comments or ideas would be really appreciatted.

Thanks
It's a nice shot, and a worthwhile exercise in DOF practice, but according to your settings, you have a very thin DOF. So Assuming 10 feet, but it looks as if you were actually closer than 10 feet from the birds, (and sorry of the camera is wrong in this example) we see that your DOF is only 0.15 feet, total, with 0.08 ft. in front (where the rope is) and 0.08 ft. behind (where the second bird is). Converting to inches, we get 0.96 inches in front and the same behind the focal plane. This is why the second bird is not in as sharp focus as you would like.

Screen shot from DOF Master:

Screen Shot 2016-05-28 at 2.59.56 PM.png

Ups! xD my bad, I was goign to show a photo of a peacock but at the end I preferd this one.

there are allot of variables, how close and how far things are from your lens plays a huge part in that. its kind of one of those things you need to try for the shot your after and see how it turns out.. what may work for one shot may not work for the next even if things are in a similar position but things may be set up just a little differently and that could change everything.

the closer you are to something the more out of focus the foreground or the background will be. also the farther away your subject is from the camera the less outof focus things will be in the background or foreground.. so if the rope was very close to the cameras it may still be out of focus, if it were farther away from the camera maybe not.. it also depend on your lens, not all lenses handle bokeh the same.. i remember one lens i had just never seemed have any bokeh at all. others have had beautiful bokeh..

to save my self the trouble when shooting wild life which can be gone in a split second after you see it.. i generally always keep my settings the same. use my iso to set the exposure and shoot to get one animal in focus and keep my lens as wide open as i can to still get a sharp image so i get as much bokeh as possible in the background....

now if i were at a zoo or a place where i knew they would stay put i wold defiantly play around with that kind of thing but i always go out looking for animals in the wild and you often got to be quick to get the shot....

Most reactions

Back