Guard Duty

Sharkbait

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitesharkphoto.com
Shot this last weekend at my parents' farm. They've got a 15 acre wetlands area where my dad flooded out the corners of two fields to revert them to a wildlife habitat. The beavers moved in and made a bunch of dams, and now the geese are nesting on top of the dams. Pretty sure this is the female of a pair, and she's guarding either eggs or young; the male stayed in the water about 15 feet away. Both just stared at us the whole time we were there shooting. Because of the water, could only get to within about 30ft of them, so this is shot with the 300mm zoom.

IMG_7696_edited_RS.jpg

I love everything about this image: the story behind it and the image itself are wonderful! :D

If I HAD to nitpik :mrgreen: I'd say a couple steps to the left or right might have shown off mama's neck and face a little more, as opposed to straight on. (And I agree it's probably mama goose.)

But given the distance and not wanting to disturb them, I'd say overall it's a grand shot! :sun:

Wow, great shot. The water is so blue :) It looks a little bit soft though, on the head of the goose. Maybe that's just me. I also agree with what Terri said, but overall, great shot :)

:thumbsup:

I like the theme. I like the story. I like the colors. I have no idea why the composition works, but who cares about composition when a captured moment is this compelling.

You did good. Nice shot
MNJ

I have to agree with the others. The story it captures it what makes the shot for me. The bird is in an akward position which I usually don't see. It makes me stop and try to figure out what is going on.

I have to agree with the others. The story it captures it what makes the shot for me. The bird is in an akward position which I usually don't see. It makes me stop and try to figure out what is going on.
The Goose is displaying it's threat mode with it's outstretched neck. That's a defensive posture for geese. It is warning a danger threat that it will defend it's clutch.

Great pic Shark.
A little 5 minute dabble in photoshop will hide those reeds in the foreground.
As for goosies posture, this is what i know. By lowering her head and facing directly at the threat she is blending into her own body and giving the appearance that she is bigger than she actually is. So it's part bluff but have no fear she will defend with much vigor.

canonrebel said:
The Goose is displaying it's threat mode with it's outstretched neck. That's a defensive posture for geese. It is warning a danger threat that it will defend it's clutch.

Oh yeah, most definitely. We used to raise geese sometimes when I was a kid, and they are truly the debbil's creatures! Good lord can they be mean. The other end of a 300mm zoom is just about as close as I would like to get to this one, water or no water in between. I've had a (supposedly tame) goose draw blood on me through jeans before. :shock: :?

Thanks for all the great comments everyone! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back