Guess what I found in my backyard

runnah

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
can I be in the club?

two things I have learned 1. I need a longer lens, 2. birding is boring! sat for 30 mins waiting for it to move out of a tree.

osprey3 by runnah555, on Flickr

osprey2 by runnah555, on Flickr

osprey1 by runnah555, on Flickr

That's in your BACKYARD, and you just now noticed it?? :lol:

I was *gonna* vote to let you be in the club, but then you said "birding is boring..." so I'm changing my vote. :D

Birding is not boring--it just requires an enormous amount of patience. 30 minutes is nothing to a "real" bird photographer. I've waited hours and hours before, and sometimes gone back to the same spot for several DAYS even though nothing exciting had happened, because I knew it was a good spot and sooner or later, I'd get rewarded.

I will grant you however, that sometimes, the wait can be nearly as fun as watching paint dry. Nearly. Especially since it's not like you can just pass the time reading a good book--you gotta be watching, and ready for "The" shot.

I've taken my sister with me a couple of times. She loves photography, and loves birds, but pretty much agrees with your assessment, bird photography is boring.

But, oh man...when the exciting stuff happens, it's worth ALL that waiting!!

That's in your BACKYARD, and you just now noticed it?? :lol: I was *gonna* vote to let you be in the club, but then you said "birding is boring..." so I'm changing my vote. :D Birding is not boring--it just requires an enormous amount of patience. 30 minutes is nothing to a "real" bird photographer. I've waited hours and hours before, and sometimes gone back to the same spot for several DAYS even though nothing exciting had happened, because I knew it was a good spot and sooner or later, I'd get rewarded. I will grant you however, that sometimes, the wait can be nearly as fun as watching paint dry. Nearly. Especially since it's not like you can just pass the time reading a good book--you gotta be watching, and ready for "The" shot. I've taken my sister with me a couple of times. She loves photography, and loves birds, but pretty much agrees with your assessment, bird photography is boring. But, oh man...when the exciting stuff happens, it's worth ALL that waiting!!

It's in a gully with trees around it. I can't see is from the area around my house. Only when I walk down into the power line right away I can see the nest.

Not sure if they use the same nest each year because nothing was there last year.

Lol it's not boring per say but the waiting part is boring.

Now you know why i'm not too good at it, sitting still for more than 30 seconds wakes me crazy. So I walk and walk and walk, I need the exercise anyways. Eventually I walk into a decent shot here and there. Ask MSnowy about the day I showed him my favorite spot, I took him on a 8 walk walk lol

Welcome to the club.....if Sharon allows it :)

I won't wait long for something to happen, but I will take 100's of shots of the same thing in the same pose in the same position (dumb, da dumb dumb).

The times I will sit still for a long time is watching a pond full of shorebirds and ducks; especially right now in April/May. We tend to be pervy voyeurs waiting to see Avocets or ducks mate. Honestly, the rituals pre and post mating can be rather fascinating.

I can imagine you (after getting the longer lens) enjoying the best of several worlds; particularly your landscape shots mixed with some incidental bird/wildlife shots. Win Win Situation

When I read the title, I guessed, "A nekkid cow moose!" or something equally Maine-ish...nope...some bird action instead. Nest-building bird shots are kind of cool, so different from the majority of bird shots.

I will take 100's of shots of the same thing in the same pose in the same position (dumb, da dumb dumb).
I used to do that a lot. I got so sick of sorting through 20 of the same poses that I have learned to take a couple of shots and then move on.
Runnah you just have to learn when the osprey are at their busiest and observe them at those times. I envy your location and the fact that you have the ability within your own back yard to watch the wonder of the birds fishing. That's pretty cool!

Sounds like Bird photography is in the same category of excitement as fishing or hunting.

With that said...the more money you spend for a fishing or hunting trip, the more exciting it is.

Sounds like Bird photography is in the same category of excitement as fishing or hunting. With that said...the more money you spend for a fishing or hunting trip, the more exciting it is.

Well I don't hunt but I do fish. Maybe I need to bring a six pack with me next time I go birding.

I used to do that a lot. I got so sick of sorting through 20 of the same poses that I have learned to take a couple of shots and then move on. Runnah you just have to learn when the osprey are at their busiest and observe them at those times. I envy your location and the fact that you have the ability within your own back yard to watch the wonder of the birds fishing. That's pretty cool!

Yeah I am lucky. Hardly ever see deer or moose by me so osprey will have to do.

I think next time I am going to break out the d300 with the 70-300. Iq might be lower but the reach is much better.

you and the dude with the bald eagle in his backyard .. why can't I get so lucky !!

Most reactions

Back