Guests at a ball, how much? Your experiences

If a bunch of people, with various but significant experience in the field, are having trouble answering a question and want to know more information...
Frankly, I see no difficulty. If someone ask "how much for a pizza in your town", he need no rambling: what size do you mean? Pizza with black olives? Ordering an expensive wine? But please how much money would you spend! And what if you children don't like pizza? How many pizzerias in your town? Any celiac in the group? What's the capital of North Dakota?

Just tell something like: "Recently I went to a trattoria, four people, ham and pineapple pizza, all 27 euros".

Easier: what camera do you have? It is very similar.

But the thing is the answer is dependant. A low end pizza from the supermarket might cost £3 - whilst a half decent one from a takeaway £10 and then one from the top class restaurant £15. That (in pizza terms) is a pretty big spread of values and that is without counting size or features.

The price for something is always going to be dictated by three key things:
1) The cost for you to do business - ie how much you have to make so that you can walk away without losing money (and ideally with a profit)

2) The market that you are targeting - if you're doing school balls you'll have a much different client than if you're doing state balls - and thus the possible range of prices differs greatly.

3) The product that you deliver.

In the end its hard for people to give you the rough value because there is no info on the situation for them to base an estimation off.

pizza hut - $10, any size, any topping, expensive wine - $100, again - $10, chicken nuggets - $3.50, roughly 70, no, bismarck.

Well, and practicing what I preach, my (only) data: 40 euros for 2 pictures of a couple, at the Opera hall last Christmas. But they were foreigners, I want to know how much the Viennese people are used to pay.

Maybe you should ask a Viennese photographer? I am not sure if we have any members from Vienna.... and rates are very much a local thing! Rates are also determined by the quality of the work, the experience of the photographer.. and I think that is the question we have!

If a bunch of people, with various but significant experience in the field, are having trouble answering a question and want to know more information...
Frankly, I see no difficulty. If someone ask "how much for a pizza in your town", he need no rambling: what size do you mean? Pizza with black olives? Ordering an expensive wine? But please how much money would you spend! And what if you children don't like pizza? How many pizzerias in your town? Any celiac in the group? What's the capital of North Dakota?

Just tell something like: "Recently I went to a trattoria, four people, ham and pineapple pizza, all 27 euros".

Easier: what camera do you have? It is very similar.

But then you realize that the pizzeria is run by someone who uses a microwave and frozen supermarket pizzas, and they don't have any previous experience cooking. But you only find this information out AFTER you order the pizza and pay. Oops.

It's very similar to what everyone else is saying.

So to summarize all the reponses for the OP - the questions and acceptable answer conditions you have posed, are absurd.

They are not answerable in the vastly simplistic fashion you requested, because you provide woefully insufficient information about: the event, the local market conditions, your marketability/reputation as a photographer, and the depth of your marketing/sales acumen.

The fact that you refuse to detail your equipment speaks worlds. Charge $5. +gas.
Boy, the fact that you think the equipment is decisive speaks more worlds. I was yesterday night at a ball, with around 25 colleagues, some with Canon 5D, some with 60D, some with Nikon 3Ds, some with D90.. All in front of the same potential customers, with presumably similar rates. I am afraid that you certainly have no big experience.

...says the guy posting with zero information asking for advice on how to charge on a public internet forum.

Oh yeah.

Back under your bridge, troll.

with around 25 colleagues

Since they are colleagues... just send them the files for nothing. Then it doesn't matter what your experience, cost of doing business or equipment list is.

I joined this forum to share information, not for fighting. Anyway, thank you those who helped.

Most reactions

Back