Gymnastics Meet C&C and also HELP!!!!!!

LuckySo-n-So

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went to the LSU gymnastics meet. Was able to get as close to the action as a fan could get.

Here's the story: I absolutely COULD NOT figure out how to get the camera to focus on the center of the field. There were three "squares," and for most of the meet, ONLY the right square would "turn red." I tried manual focus, but it didn't work out too well either. The only time anything was really in focus was when I did a vertical shot. I was in "shutter priority" most of the time. Toward the end, I switched to "sports" mode and the camera started to focus in the center. I pretty much wasted hundreds of photos. Lots of "woulda, coulda, shoulda" this go'round. However, like I stated earlier, I'm only out 5 bucks and 2 hours time. I also have a valuable learning experience. I would appreciate y'alls input. Thanks.

This was the typical result:

1.) 1/160th f/4.5 ISO 1600

3296797602_138ef4fa1f_b.jpg

2.) Ditto

1/250th f/4.5 ISO 1600
3295972273_95576a2dab_b.jpg

3.)One of the better ones.

1/160th f/5 ISO 1600

3295972111_1e83ea97eb_b.jpg

4.) Another decent one--probably my favorite.

1/125th f/4.8 ISO 800
3295993789_0a54227595_b.jpg

5.) Check out this guy's rig...He told me that was a 400mm(unlimited budget at the LSU Daily Reveille)
3296819706_e2daca1efc.jpg

Last edited:
There's no EXIF data on the images, so it's a bit difficult to make an informed critique, but generally the composition is good, 'though the shutter speed is clearly a bit on the slow side. Not sure what gear you're using, but if you post it, I'm sure someone can help you with your focusing issue.

Added the "triangle" info to the post.

Nikon D40 used the 55-200mm kit lens mostly. Sigma 70-300 for some, but I was really too close for that one.

"Manual focus" has nothing to do with control of the focus point on the camera. Are you sure you didn't lock it by accident? On higher end bodies, there is a fucntion or dedicated button to lock the focus point from moving. You may have done that, and undone it at some point. No idea why the D40 would lock you out of using the three focus points.

"Manual focus" has nothing to do with control of the focus point on the camera. Are you sure you didn't lock it by accident? On higher end bodies, there is a fucntion or dedicated button to lock the focus point from moving. You may have done that, and undone it at some point. No idea why the D40 would lock you out of using the three focus points.

I just did a little experiment, and I noticed that when I am in Manual, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, or Program modes, the focus locks on the right point. Every other setting (Auto, Macro, etc.) locks the focus on the center. WTF???

Your camera may be borked. Try resetting all the settings.

Looks like you have the right idea. You're being limited by equipment. You need faster than 1/125 to freeze those girls. They move too fast. Get some 2.8 glass and you'll be fine.

You're being limited by equipment...Get some 2.8 glass and you'll be fine.

Just curious, is the D40 limiting me(other than the fact that I screwed up the AF settings somehow)? Or is it just the glass?

Sigh. I was afraid of that. Well, I guess that's gonna have to wait. I still need the SB-600 flash for other things I want to do, and I feel that's more important right now.

After that, well, It's time to start saving money for LSU Tailgating season Oh, and for tickets to the football games too.

Thanks again for your help in the previous post. Doesn't look like I followed your advice too closely, but there's another meet next Friday, so I'll try again.

The biggest disadvantage that you have in this situation with the D40 is the Frames per second, and ISO. At ISO1600 you'll see more noise than you would with a D90 or D300. With the frames per second, you'd be able to fire more shots while they were in the air, and maybe more would be in focus. The focus point is controled by the selector button on the back of the camera. When you're in single point AF you can select which point is used by pressing the selector button left or right.

Just curious, is the D40 limiting me(other than the fact that I screwed up the AF settings somehow)? Or is it just the glass?

Sigh. I was afraid of that. Well, I guess that's gonna have to wait. I still need the SB-600 flash for other things I want to do, and I feel that's more important right now.

After that, well, It's time to start saving money for LSU Tailgating season Oh, and for tickets to the football games too.

Thanks again for your help in the previous post. Doesn't look like I followed your advice too closely, but there's another meet next Friday, so I'll try again.

Its both I would say. By no means is the d40 bad, but only 3 focus points and the low aperture on your lens combine for a bad mix

Last edited:
Yeah, kinda what I figured. But oh well, there's NO way I would have been able to swing the D90 and a couple of lenses. I'd still be using my Sony Cybershot....

...and body rental. This kit will be far too limiting. I didn't know they only had 3 points in the D40. Sux, and will really make it difficult.

I don't think that this is a limiting factor. Most of the time I use single point AF anyway, especially for the beam.

Most reactions

Back