H

look

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am posting for general critique including remarks for technicalities, composition, etc. Thank you!

30s, F11, ISO100, tripod.

P.S. SOme already have noticed it is not truly horizontal - do you notice it? It looked OK to me :)

3984c.jpg

craig said:
The 'ol iMac using Safari is getting the dreaded blue question mark.

Thanks for the notice!

It used to work with that website but not any longer :) And it looked OK when I posted.

Now you should see it fine :)

I do not really get why this has been moved to general gallery :( I want seriuos critique and not "just share".

The slanted horizon is the first thing I notice, I find it very distracting. It would be a simple matter to fix it if you have photoshop or something similar. I like the warm glow of the artificial lighting and I think the exposure is dead on. The shot is very centered, but it seems to work. It is a very symetrical shot. Nice work

It looks like you've added some additional information, I will put it back in the critique section for you.

AlisonPower: thank you :)

Pursuer & Craig: thank you for detailed critique :) I will experiment with a close crop too :) I have taken some frames with a closer crop but they are are not as sharp - I will make a remote control to help it.

Hi, I like this shot pretty much. The symmetry and the centered compo perfectly match the title. The exposure is just great and the lights .... definitely an almost perfect shot. As the other already said, I would also try a tighter crop to make the "H" stand out even more. You can also do this in PS, so there's no need to reshoot. It might be a bit tricky to find the right crop but I would try not to crop within one of the reflection "columns". Just play around a bit and you'll find the perfect size.

Thanks!

It seems to depend on personal taste - one photographer commented that he would prefer a little wider picture :) However I have no problems working with photos in PS in, so to speak, intermediate level and tigher crop seems an interesting alternative to me :) Reshoot is a little better when I want the best quality :)

look said:
I do not really get why this has been moved to general gallery :( I want seriuos critique and not "just share".
You said you wanted a general critique - you would have got that in the General Gallery.
The Critique Gallery is for getting help with specific problems. You didn't seem to have any - at least you didn't say you had any. Asking for a general critique is the same as saying 'what do you think'.
In future try to be more specific - read the guidlines.
And if you have a problem you could always try PMing the Forum Mod - he's usually the one who has moved it.

Thank you for your explanation.

However, the forum explanations for each gallery are:

General Gallery
This is a general gallery for sharing your photos and getting feedback. If you are looking for serious critique, please post your photo in the critique gallery.

Critique Gallery
This forum is for serious critique, so expect brutal responses if you post here. Please limit posts to one photo at a time (multiple attempts at the same subject are acceptable).

These explanations state very clearly that if I am into serious and unflattering critique and not "just share and get general feedback", critique gallery is the way to go. The word "general" might have mislead moderator but I actually wanted general critique on all aspects of the photo that might be improved whatever that problem might be.

Accoding to the description I see general gallery as a place where I come and say "Look what I have shot today! Isn't that nice?" and Critique gallery as the place to discus quality of the photos, photo techniques, and post processing. And does not necessarely have to be a single specific problem.

Happy shooting! :)

look said:
The word "general" might have mislead moderator but I actually wanted general critique on all aspects of the photo that might be improved whatever that problem might be.

Accoding to the description I see general gallery as a place where I come and say "Look what I have shot today! Isn't that nice?" and Critique gallery as the place to discus quality of the photos, photo techniques, and post processing. And does not necessarely have to be a single specific problem.
The Gallery descriptors are a problem and they are being worked on. However, if you had read the stickies in the Gallery that say 'please read' you would have read this one:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31052
I do not think that I am misled in the least by your use of 'general feedback' - your description of what you want is exactly how I interpreted it, and it is what you will get in the General Gallery.
As I said, if you have a problem or do not understand things then your first course of action is to PM the Mod.

Yes, according to the post it appears I was mislead by gallery description - I am sorry.

Most reactions

Back