Had a D700 stolen from me, need some advice

Restomage

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone, I need some advice and want to see if anything similar has happened to you before.

I recently sold a D700 on eBay and was paid through Paypal. The buyer paid and sent me a message on eBay asking if I could send it to another address. I've never sold anything on eBay before and didn't realize that you're required to send it to the address on file through PayPal. I sent it to the address he requested and after a 21 day wait period the funds were granted to my account. Then yesterday, they were put on hold as the buyer's credit card company contacted PayPal saying he didn't authorize this purchase.

Obviously it was my bad that I sent it to a different address, but it looks like the buyer's account was hacked, and it looks like I may not get my money back if the credit card company wins. If this happens, it looks like I'm screwed. However, this camera is still insured through my insurance company and I'm thinking I might be able to make a claim.

This my question: Since it was technically stolen, what type of claim would I need to make to my insurance company? Will they still acknowledge my claim even though I had intent to sell it?

I've dealt with a lot of crap situations through eBay and PayPal.

Basically, I'm sorry to say but you are screwed for sure. PayPal will always side with the buyer, and neither company will help you out since you sent it to the wrong address. It will also be tough to make a claim since you willingly sent the camera to a different address.

Sorry man I know how much it sucks. I went through nearly the exact same routine with a car part worth $650. I ended up being out for the part and shipping, and the buyer got his money back via PayPal. It turns out HE actually did this on purpose to "steal" it from me.

****ing scumbags.

Didn't send it to an address in Arizona, did you?? http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/off-topic-chat/357827-missed-deal.html
Just thought it was interesting that these two threads popped up today.

I'd say you're probably out of luck with Paypal and Ebay. But what about the police? Since you DO have an address, perhaps you can file a report? I'd imagine you'd have to do that anyway, to have any hope of getting insurance to cover it.

Hey everyone, I need some advice and want to see if anything similar has happened to you before.

I recently sold a D700 on eBay and was paid through Paypal. The buyer paid and sent me a message on eBay asking if I could send it to another address. I've never sold anything on eBay before and didn't realize that you're required to send it to the address on file through PayPal. I sent it to the address he requested and after a 21 day wait period the funds were granted to my account. Then yesterday, they were put on hold as the buyer's credit card company contacted PayPal saying he didn't authorize this purchase.

Obviously it was my bad that I sent it to a different address, but it looks like the buyer's account was hacked, and it looks like I may not get my money back if the credit card company wins. If this happens, it looks like I'm screwed. However, this camera is still insured through my insurance company and I'm thinking I might be able to make a claim.

This my question: Since it was technically stolen, what type of claim would I need to make to my insurance company? Will they still acknowledge my claim even though I had intent to sell it?

Ok, I know I'm probably completely around the bend on this one - but um, maybe a good idea here would be to ask your insurance company?

You can pretty much forget about Ebay or Paypal doing much here I'm afraid, as far as they are concerned once you shipped to a non-confirmed address you were on your own.

The big question here is how was it shipped. Did you use the post office by chance?

My insurance has a $500 deductible. So when some dirtbag stole some of my stuff last fall, I got a check for $385, but the replacements cost nearly $1500.

If you have the address, couldn't you call that areas local police too?

Lol at waiting 21 days for payment let alone sending it to an unverified address. You walked right into this.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Lol at waiting 21 days for payment let alone sending it to an unverified address. You walked right into this.

Ebay and PayPal MAKE you wait if you do not have enough positive feedback from selling merchandise.

That's awful.

Call PayPal. They are usually good about handling issues over the phone. You can submit the docs which showed the address you were told to ship to. They should still protect you.

That's awful.

Call PayPal. They are usually good about handling issues over the phone. You can submit the docs which showed the address you were told to ship to. They should still protect you.

Can't hurt to ask, but I doubt Paypal will be willing to take the loss here - and that's what would happen if this is actually a legit paypal account that someone else hacked. Certainly can't hurt to call them though.

From what I understand paypal will protect you if you ship it with tracking and delivery confirmation.

Paypal is horrible, specially towards the sellers. I highly doubt you will get anywhere with them.
You should IMMEDIATELY file a report with IC-3.
Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | Home
They really helped me when I got ripped off on eBay, and even helped me when I then sued eBay.
It's the FBI division of internet crimes. They may even be able to get your camera back from you. You can also contact the local police both where you are and where you shipped the camera to. Make sure to include the serial number, you should be able to find it if you ever registered the camera's warranty online.

Thanks for the help guys, I did call PayPal immediately earlier today and they have proof on file that the buyer changed the address on me via an message in eBay, and they have confirmation with a tracking number that I sent it. If that doesn't work out, i'll go ahead and probably report it to the police and talk to my insurance company.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back