had to cancle for the first time

misol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well it was cursed from day one! I would never normally shoot with my kids around, but it was a newborn shoot with a friend's sister and she really wanted to shoot at a time that I dont usually work. She said she was fine with my kids being here...I really shouldnt have been ok with that. Note to self, my kids can not come!

My daughter has been exposed to swine flu. The client has a new born. Not a good combo. But we worked it out that I was going to let her and my son watch tv in my bedroom. Such a bad idea!

But I got up, its dark and cludy, stormy out. So no natural window light, cant go outside. So I spend nearly 3 freaking hours ironing a backdrop and setting up my studio lights. I havent used them since last winter. Of course, my sync cord is missing and for the life of me, I couldnt get it to sync up when I slaved it.

So I had to cancel. First time in the past year, which I find surprising because I work outside with natural light almost all the time.

I guess this confirms, as much as I am not in love with studio, I really need to get a workable mobile studio. I had planned as soon as this holiday rush is over, I was going to start working on getting it right. Now I am set on this plan.

Anyways, I hope this woman reschedules. I know she was disappointed and was really looking forward to it. I want to offer her some incentive to book and feel better about the situation. What are some things you have done for clients who you had to disappoint?

Well it was cursed from day one! I would never normally shoot with my kids around, but it was a newborn shoot with a friend's sister and she really wanted to shoot at a time that I dont usually work. She said she was fine with my kids being here...I really shouldnt have been ok with that. Note to self, my kids can not come!

My daughter has been exposed to swine flu. The client has a new born. Not a good combo. But we worked it out that I was going to let her and my son watch tv in my bedroom. Such a bad idea!

But I got up, its dark and cludy, stormy out. So no natural window light, cant go outside. So I spend nearly 3 freaking hours ironing a backdrop and setting up my studio lights. I havent used them since last winter. Of course, my sync cord is missing and for the life of me, I couldnt get it to sync up when I slaved it.

So I had to cancel. First time in the past year, which I find surprising because I work outside with natural light almost all the time.

I guess this confirms, as much as I am not in love with studio, I really need to get a workable mobile studio. I had planned as soon as this holiday rush is over, I was going to start working on getting it right. Now I am set on this plan.

Anyways, I hope this woman reschedules. I know she was disappointed and was really looking forward to it. I want to offer her some incentive to book and feel better about the situation. What are some things you have done for clients who you had to disappoint?

I'd look at it as a blessing in disguise. Your daughter (with Swine flu) and her son watching tv together....very good chance that he would have gotten it and spread through the house to the baby....and that would have been REALLY bad.

I wouldn't have told her about the equipment issues, I would have just told her about not wanting to spread the illness to the baby (which would have been true for me) and rescheduled.

I have a portable setup....but I only shoot baby pictures right now.....so my portable setup includes a few props and a black and a white backdrop that I can drapes over their couch and onto the floor. You don't need that much room for a baby session though.

Oh no, its my daughter who was exposed (doesnt have it but we wont know for sure for a couple more days) and my son ho hasnt been exposed.

I guess I need to cover better. I told her an important piece was malfunctioning, which is mostly fact.

This really makes me want to convert my garage!

Well, convert your garage then! There are a number of affordable background systems on the market today; most have two large, robust stands that look a lot like light stands, but are called background support stands. These stands have studs on top, which go into holes drilled through crossbar poles, which hold your muslin,canvas, cloth, or paper backgrounds. These usually have a transport case,and are affordable on eBay.

Low-cost AC-powered monolights like the ones Adorama sells under their own Flashpoint brand, cost $129 with a light stand and umbrella and free shipping. For $260 you'd have two AC-powered studio lights...no need to worry about the sun not cooperating, and you could shoot after dark. Just a thought.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back