Had to dust off the Ol trusty D300 today

i think you would really miss the added reach of the DX

i was sitting here in the living room with mine last night. semi low light. pointed it in the direction of my kids. The box kept moving around the screen locking on to different things. moved the camera slightly. it locked on to one of my kids. then it moved again.
i figured it was me and i wasn't using it properly. But it didn't stay locked on and didn't lock on to what i was aiming at. Doing it manually, moving the box myself i got it to lock on. But that takes a couple seconds and is kind of annoying. it probably is me in my case. im still figuring it out.

or maybe the camera does suck....
i only have 300 clicks on it and im not used to it. to be determined as of yet.

oh. the iso is killer too. everyone keeps saying this is good in lowlight. i switched in into auto, iso jumps up to 6400. it wasn't dark. im sitting in the living room, light on, tv on. i thought that was pretty dismal. And sadly, then i noticed i had the iso set to a max of 6400. changed that. And auto brought it up to hi2. seriously???? i can take photos with my point and shoot in this light i have piles of evening pics in this house with a ps. Not to say it is better in low light than the 7100 it isn't. And i had the shutter speed in the normal range on the 7100.. But the 7100 isn't better enough to warrant the reputation. Least on that. you would think it would be ten times better than a point and shoot, not barely edging it out with a jacked up iso.

That is fair enough. Every person to themselves. I own a d7100 and prefer it to any p+s I ever owned. Having said that I have not shot with every point and shoot so maybe there is an exception. You had a whole thread on this I believe

The D300 came back to life!! woohoo!! I had actually ordered a cheap set of Xit extension tubes last week. They came today and I figured the D300 would now be a macro camera since I didn't need AF. Threw on my 80-200 F2.8 with the 3 tubes and got a FEE error even though I was locked at the smallest aperture. wiggled the tubes around and accidentally hit the AF-ON button and AF came back to life! Very bizarre...

Very bizarre turn of events.

I was going to add, having the d600 and d7000 .. the 600 is my indoor camera and the 7000 is my outdoor due to the added reach. I think you would still like the 7100 when the AF issues are corrected.

glad to hear your 300 came back to life
:thumbup:

The D300 came back to life!! woohoo!! I had actually ordered a cheap set of Xit extension tubes last week. They came today and I figured the D300 would now be a macro camera since I didn't need AF. Threw on my 80-200 F2.8 with the 3 tubes and got a FEE error even though I was locked at the smallest aperture. wiggled the tubes around and accidentally hit the AF-ON button and AF came back to life! Very bizarre...
It was just lazy after its rest. That's good stuff

i was sitting here in the living room with mine last night. semi low light. pointed it in the direction of my kids. The box kept moving around the screen locking on to different things. moved the camera slightly. it locked on to one of my kids. then it moved again.
i figured it was me and i wasn't using it properly. But it didn't stay locked on and didn't lock on to what i was aiming at. Doing it manually, moving the box myself i got it to lock on. But that takes a couple seconds and is kind of annoying. it probably is me in my case. im still figuring it out.

oh. the iso is killer too. everyone keeps saying this is good in lowlight. i switched in into auto, iso jumps up to 6400. it wasn't dark. im sitting in the living room, light on, tv on. i thought that was pretty dismal. And sadly, then i noticed i had the iso set to a max of 6400. changed that. And auto brought it up to hi2. seriously???? i can take photos with my point and shoot in this light i have piles of evening pics in this house with a ps. Not to say it is better in low light than the 7100 it isn't. And i had the shutter speed in the normal range on the 7100.. But the 7100 isn't better enough to warrant the reputation. Least on that. you would think it would be ten times better than a point and shoot, not barely edging it out with a jacked up iso.

That is fair enough. Every person to themselves. I own a d7100 and prefer it to any p+s I ever owned. Having said that I have not shot with every point and shoot so maybe there is an exception. You had a whole thread on this I believe
A lot of it is personal use. im finicky too. And, im still getting used to it. More i get used to it, probably the less pissy i will be with it. sometimes you don't always like the new pair of shoes at first. i don't know my way around it. i can track with the focus on my bridge camera. haven't had so much luck with this lucky to get it to lock in. Guess it only tracks in 3d watching that video, probably explains it. in the dark the other night, i had to struggle to find the buttons. i kind of wonder why they cant revert the screen to night image or whatever so you can actually see in the dark too. how you supposed to take a photo in the dark if you cant see the frame? i think people buy this camera for the extra abilities and options. since i mostly use it like a normal camera im not really benefiting from the extra options either.

As you said in another thread DSLR'S are overrated!! Better stick with the point and shoot !!!!!!
im still using my cheap trusty bridge camera (its sitting right next to me) and a point and shoot most of the time. im considering doing a test, between my bridge and the 7100 just to see how much better the 7100 is. But i think the real value of the 7100 would only come out in certain instances. i bought a dslr for the 10 percent of the time the other cameras t me off. Out of that ten percent now the dslr is t ing me off five percent of that. All in what you use a camera for. in my case, there is probably a reason i think they are overated based on how i use a camera. i get more into birding, sports, i could find a dslr indispensable. walk around camera, a lot of the types of photos i do. it is VERY overrated. i dump another three k into something. it will prolly be a bridge or a mirrorless, most likely another bridge camera. someone who needs a dslr for work, well that is totally different. someone who has a fascination with stars, well it might be worth the headache of it and expense to them. i would rather not have the photo of stars and not carry around the dslr or deal with one. People have different uses and needs. The thing is sitting up in its box again right now. ill give it credit for one thing, the video aint bad. But the video on the bridge is almost as good for a third the cost and a quarter the weight and size (no lenses). all in how you see it...
point and shoot is great. Thinking of utility. there is a reason they sell millions of them. for simple shots, portability, you cant beat the premise of a point and shoot.

Most reactions

Back