Had to sell my whole kit :(

brileyphotog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, its been a long time since I was here last, and I come bearing sad news. Both newspapers I freelanced for bottomed out and I was let go, and the other steady sports gig I had also went bankrupt.

So I went and got a real job...the downside to that being that I won't have time to shoot weddings anymore.

Anyway, I got so broke last month I had to sell my whole kit to pay the bills.

I guess I should count my blessings though, my new real job is working at a brokerage firm...so in a few months I should be well on my way to a D3!

So for the time being I'm a camera-less photographer, which is about the saddest thing I know of. I tried using my old Nikon Coolpix (for the first time in 5 years) as a temporary stand-in, but got so frustrated I just gave it to my girlfriend. :(

Stupid economy. Where's the newspaper industry bailout?

So to hear that, but News Papers have old news!

Ever considered going freelance?

Keep your head up!

Best of luck to you! I hope you have some shiny new gear soon.

Congratulations on finding a new job! And one that will pay the bills and in time allow you to pick up new toys. So very many people are hanging on by their finger nails hoping for work these days.

My sympathies mate. My girlfriend and I have a kid on the way and I'm terrified of having to give up. I shoot Live music for free at the moment and I'd love to be in your position where I had freelanced for actual renumeration. If you've freelanced once you can do it again. You'll be fine mate.

Stupid economy. Where's the newspaper industry bailout?

Alas, newspapers are going the way of the wooly mammoth. I also lost my long-time newspaper job (computer graphics) due to downsizing and outsourcing. Many people are losing jobs in the newspaper industry. Our local rag has lost nearly 50% of the number of employees in the last two years, with those who are left having to do double the work.

:thumbup: Good for you that you have a new job, though! That is a blessing in these lean times! :thumbup:

I bet in no time you will be back to building up your equipment, since once bitten with the 'bug' you just can't go long without snapping pictures of the world.

That seriously sucks. But hey, at least you found a new job! And things can only go up from here.

Even though your passion for shooting may keep your sanity, without a job it would not be worth having all the gear.

My wife's favorite saying these days is "there is a silver lining to every cloud"

Your silver lining may need some patience, but I bet you will one day have the excitement of new equipment coming your way.

Good luck with the new job!!!

Most reactions

Back