Hair ice.

flameshots

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I found these ice formations all over the pasture next to my family cabin in north Georgia. It most often found on the bark of rotting trees but in this case it was forming on the stalks of dead weeds in the pasture. Anyone have any Ideas on how to photograph these any better. I was thinking I could use an off camera flash and some speedlight filters to really accent the formations.

oh my, that ice is interesting!! I would try putting the camera down on the ground and taking the shot that way. I don't think that we're getting the full impact of what this looks like. You can also try a macro shot.

oh my, that ice is interesting!! I would try putting the camera down on the ground and taking the shot that way. I don't think that we're getting the full impact of what this looks like. You can also try a macro shot.

Do I need a macro lens for that or just zoom my lens to the macro setting? I'm really new to the close up world. I may never get the chance to photo these again because from what I can find out they are pretty rare. I wish I had spent more time with them. Thanks for the input.

Really you want a macro lens for macro photography however you can get decent "macro" by zooming in with your zoom lens and set your Aperture to f5.6 (or lower if you can)

Really you want a macro lens for macro photography however you can get decent "macro" by zooming in with your zoom lens and set your Aperture to f5.6 (or lower if you can)

UUilliam thanks for the help and a big tip. I'm all fired up to give that a try now. Now if I can just get out of the house.

Thanks again.

yes i agree with what bambi said. i have never seen ice like this before... that's really cool!

Most reactions

Back