Hairy 8 legged beast.

I am the brave girl who has to live with those spiders (my housemate has them as pets)!

We got black widows all over here where I live. Occassionally, my dad and I hunt black widows in our backyard at nighttime. (they only come out at night). Once we find them, we put those little things out of their misery. They actually are dangerous and we find them in places like THE BOTTOM OF CHAIRS, and SOMETIMES IN THE HOUSE! Every time we go hunting for them we find like 8-15 a night, no joke. Maybe I should go out tonight and grab some snapshots.

About the tarantula pictures, their nice. Nice clarity and good courage! I like the fact you still went close to them even though you thought they were poisonous!

lol It was still a reasonably controlled situation. Despite everything I was told one wrong move and that spider would have to get scraped from the bottom of my shoe. LongDucDong going out at night and hunting those things... not for me. Lots of respect to you though!

lol It was still a reasonably controlled situation. Despite everything I was told one wrong move and that spider would have to get scraped from the bottom of my shoe. LongDucDong going out at night and hunting those things... not for me. Lots of respect to you though!

LOL Theres absolutely nothing to be afraid of. Their bites are harmless, theyve never killed anyone, theyre just big, hairy spiders with undeserved bad reputations. Heck, I go out and scoop them up, right from the field, and most of them sit on me like a lump on a log. Most could care less that I even bothered them. The nasty ones are in Asia and Africa, they have more attitude their for some reason. :confused:

So when you scoop them up, what do they do? The very first thing the above one did when something got near it or brushed against it was go in to psycho ****ed off on hind legs mode.

Wow, it sounds like most of you have to look for spiders and stuff.

Up here in Maine we have no animals that can kill you except for the ol' bears. But there aren't many bears, and they don't just run at you.

Nice tarantula shots at the top, everyone sort of got sidetracked ;)

So when you scoop them up, what do they do? The very first thing the above one did when something got near it or brushed against it was go in to psycho ****ed off on hind legs mode.

Like I mentioned, the tarantulas from the Old World are generally more aggressive. Er, aggressive isnt the term I should use... theyre more defensive, more quick to rear up and show their fangs. New World species are generally quite docile. The ones I find in AZ, NM, MO, KS, etc are as gentle as a puppy dog.

Believe me it doesn't matter if they are captive or in the wild. When you are 30cm away from them and a bit of an arachnophobiac then it is real to you.

One thing to watch for - Tarantulas have a defense system - they can flick hairs from their rear by flicking their legs. These are not poisonous but the are irritant and can be dangerous if they get in your eyes... If you are going to get close with a lens make sure you can "read" their body language... or wear glasses !!!

my $0.002 . .. ..

A101.jpg

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:
MAJOR FEAR OF SPIDERS!
But awesome noetheless :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back