Halloween Party Settings

Amphoteric

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone, I am taking pics tonight at a halloween party. Chances are that it will be dark with lights and such (think dance club). Here is my available equipment:

-mid-range, adjustable, TTL external flash
-12" diffuser for flash
-Nikon d7100
-Nikkor 18-140mm 3.5 lens
-Nikkor 55mm 1.8 lens

So my question is what settings should I be using ideally? I would think that I should stick to about 1/100 shutter speed to catch dancing, but what about apeture and iso settings? Is 1/100 a good speed?

Also, if anyone can guide me on the best way to set up my flash (can't remember the model, but it is made for nikkon cameras) with this camera (just got it, upgraded from a d40) that would be awesome!

I only get one shot at this, so I want to make the most of it.

Thank you

Start with your these settings and play around from there.

Shutter speed - 1/15
Aperture - f5.6
Iso - 1600

Your flash should be off camera at least 13 inches above the lens and start at 1/32 power. Also, shoot rear sync flash.

Depending on how much available light there is, this set up will vary. Shoot without flash to get the ambient exposure you want then add the flash on without over powering and blowing out the subjects.

Good luck!

With a shutter speed as slow as 1/15 and rear curtain flash sync, you'll be recording ambient light camera shake and subject motion until the rear shutter curtain starts to close and the flash unit fires.

The duration of a hot shoe flash unit (on or of camera) is pretty short, and gets even shorter at less than full power. At full power, Nikon hot shoe flash units have a flash duration of about 1/1000.

The short duration of the flash of light will stop any camera shake and subject motion occurring in the scene at that instant before the rear shutter curtain starts closing to end the exposure.

I suspect you don't have much experience manually controlling ambient and flash exposure.
When using flash, shutter speed controls the exposure and lens aperture controls the flash exposure.

I would suggest this one-time event that is happening tonight is not the time to be using techniques and controls you're not familiar with.
I would suggest the best way to "make the most out of it" is to put the D7100 and the flash unit in Auto mode and rely on the camera software.

Most reactions

Back