halo moon

meotter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to see a halo moon the other night, however the pics that i took on the camera are nicer then what came out on my screen. unfortunately, i had a number of things working against me,
A) the moon was directly over head, and my lens wasn't wide enough to capture the whole thing.
B) the moon is completely blown out, but with a lower shutter speed, you also lose the halo effect.
C) i only had access to my point and shoot, would control of f-stop made a difference?

how could i have done this better, in regards to settings etc. i don't own any filters, but would one of them made a difference? i'd have loved to get more detail in the moon as well as have a brilliant ring.

settings used: f2.8, 37mm (as wide as it goes), 10seconds, taken on a flexi tripod.

faster shutters (5", 4", 3" and 1") resulted in less ring detail but less "flare" from the moon also (the moon is smaller looking), but don't show any extra detail in the moon itself.
THANKS! :)

img5171yf6.jpg

moonhalo_casado_big.jpg

this is an example of a good shot of what i was trying to capture. the directly overhead thing worked against me, as i wasn't able to put something in the image to make it look like anything other then just a street lamp :(

That's a better shot than I've been able to get the one time I had a full halo overhead. My only suggestion is probably fairly obvious - a wider angle lens, but since the halos are hard to predict, it's difficult to know when to have a wide lens with you.

Yeah, the crop is too tight and doesn't give enough information on what the viewer is looking at.

heh, there is no crop... that's the entire image... i couldn't capture the full image because the lens is too narrow :p too bad i didn't have a fisheye with me :( perhaps if i was able to even get under a bare tree branch, it could have added something to the image.

any suggestions on exposure settings to enhance the look of the moon, whilst still capturing the halo?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back