Hangar shutter speed?

Cedar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am currently doing a photo shoot for a stunt school, and they do most of their photography in a hangar. I'm trying to get the most crisp shots possible as people are being flung through the air and hurled off of 30ft Quad Trax, however the best I can do for lighting as it seems, is the fast motion auto-scene mode.. I tried keeping the ISO 1600 and under with a 1.5k/1 shutter speed, but it's all too dark. I tried a custom white balance, and also tried a few manual exposure settings...

Any suggestions?

I am using a 50D with the stock 28-135mm lens. (My bag of good lens' got stolen about 2 weeks ago...)

Cheers,
-Cedar

Here is an example of what I am shooting. (Note the are being flung back with a 500lb force)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

use flash

A flash would help remove the effect that the jumper looks to have a human body growing out of the back of his leg :wink:

@OP - I'd also set up some kind of drop to simplify all the girders and junk on the floor. Get some lower shots to obtain an angle that provides the illusion of height. Some shots with a wide angle should exaggerate perspective which could be cool.

Thank you for the excellent input!

Now using a 430ex, what settings would best fit my scenario? Again thank you for the help!

Thank you for the excellent input!

Now using a 430ex, what settings would best fit my scenario? Again thank you for the help!

I am not sure of the max synch speed of the 430, but I will guess that it is 1/200. If you can go off camera to avoid harsh shadows, that will help as well. No chance of a second or third flash for fill?

^^^Max sync speed would be determined by the camera, not the flash.

I'm an aircraft mechanic, so I spend most of the day in a hangar... The lighting usually sucks.

Adding light, or using high ISO are probably your only options...

Not much chance with that lens unless you have a good flash or studio lighting

Why would that be? the lens might be pretty garbage, I wouldn't know as I don't use Canon but I've used flash with any number of kit lens over the years and they perform the same as any other, light the scene/stop motion/image capture.

Good flash, I'd like a definition, the OP seems to have the equivalent of the Nikon SB600 which all users here reckon is very good so I can't see a problem with its use. H

Not much chance with that lens unless you have a good flash or studio lighting

Why would that be? the lens might be pretty garbage, I wouldn't know as I don't use Canon but I've used flash with any number of kit lens over the years and they perform the same as any other, light the scene/stop motion/image capture.

Good flash, I'd like a definition, the OP seems to have the equivalent of the Nikon SB600 which all users here reckon is very good so I can't see a problem with its use. H

When i posted i didn't know he had a flash that he could have used :p

Here one of mine, i used a studio flash aimed at a high ceiling settings were
ISO1250 to brighten the background 1/250, F4 you should be able to use similar settings aimed direct just dial the flash power up or down

792737034_uLhPr-L.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back