Hanging Out in the Vineyard

motojoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.anvilimage.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I enjoyed shooting one of my recent assignments for a local paper and wanted to share one of my favorite shots from the session. While walking a vineyard with the owner, I saw the converging lines of the rows and though it could make a good portrait. I know, I wish his glass had more wine in it too, but I try not to add elements to my shots for the newspaper...

835621751_HPEi4-800x800.jpg

More info my blog here.

-joe

Overall I like the image quite a lot but the glass bothers me for several reasons.

1 it looks enormous
2 it really pops up. My eye went straight to it and kept wanting to return to it. These two things made me wonder if it was PSed in. But from your text, I would guess not.

and 3 who walks around a vineyard with a glass in their hand? :er:

Without reading your text, I would have thought this was an advertisement shot of some kind.

I like it!

The guy reminds me of Gordon Ramsay with the hair. Lol.

I think there is a little too much open space around him, but you can't help the position of the fences!

@c.cloudwalker: It's funny that you mention the size of the glass because it was pretty big! In fact, they just sent out a marketing email (in which they used my photos, too) and they advertise large glasses to drink wine out of. No kidding:

The Mirror Project - February 2010

Both the owner and his wife walk the vineyard daily in the afternoon with wine to relax and check things over. It was a really small vineyard (5 acres) and didn't take long to get around...

Thanks for the comments!

I went to your blog after leaving my post and realized that the glasses did look really enormous. So I went and got one of mine to kinda compare. I was so bummed out I just couldn't come back and add to my post. :lmao:

What's funny is that although I don't drink much wine myself I've learned quite a bit about it (and alcohol in general) from living in Europe for years and since I'm in the process of moving back there now, the glass just hit me. It of course reminded me of the fact that here in the US we value quantity over quality... and, to me, that is kind of sad.

At the same time, don't go and tell those people that. I'm sure they are only doing what they feel they have to do.

Toast!

I like this alot, I love all the negative space and the silohette effect. Would be super cool for the vineyard owner in his tasting room.

It IS a pity there's so little wine left in that glass, some more red, and that even backlit and totally not silhouetted like all the rest would have been the "dot on the i" as we would way in German. You'd rather call it the icing on the cake or some such things, wouldn't you? By we rarely ice our cakes, so such saying could not have come up in my language ;).

It's beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

It makes you keep looking at it, perfect for my taste

Most reactions

Back