Hans

Slaphead

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This photo was amongst the first that I'd taken with my camera - probably only 3 months ago. The light was really low so the ISO is high (Hi 1 - 3200) and on a D40x that means noise, and lots of it. Also the focus is soft - long exposure, no VR, and a hand connected to a body that had a few beers ;), however I still like it. No PP other than cropping and BW. Comments and hard constructive criticism welcome.

hans.jpg

I like the pose, but his head gets a little lost against whatever is on the wall behind him.

I like it too, but I am wondering if you could do something to make him pop out more.

Was thinking to same thing... something just needs to draw attention to him. I think the noise works well with this photo.

to me, all of those things combined, would just mean a toss out photo. the background is distracting to boot and it's very low contrast.

Actually I just did a pretty cool edit of it. but it says not to edit your photo's so i can't share it.

Actually I just did a pretty cool edit of it. but it says not to edit your photo's so i can't share it.

Ok show it by all means. It was only set to don't edit because I didn't know the general environment and members behavior when I first joined. It seems likely that I'll change that now ;).

I know what you all mean by the background, but when I see a scene thats begging to have a photo taken and the window of opportunity is small, I tend to take it and make a decision later. Perhaps a bit of PP will help, but I'll wait and see what Kelly's done first.

Cheers

I also did some post on it as it looked like a really quick fix to me.
I drew a lasso around his head, out about 40 pixels but coming in tight between his thumb and chin. Feathered the selecion by 20 then made three tweaks to the curves.
I like to ctrl+h when I am tweaking selections too just in case you didn't know that one. Lot of people don't so I sometimes blurt it out. :D
Cool shot Slaphead. I think the noise is just fine. It emphasizes his age imo.

Someone said its a "throwaway pic," but pleaaase don't get rid of it! Sure it has some issues, but it paints a very vivid picture anyway. I wouldn't show it to your circle of professional photographers and art directors, but its still good. But a good photo can only be measured by the taker. If I took it, it would probably be some of my best work!

I do second the head blending in to the background. and the shot does look a little fuzzy, but it still has character!

to me, all of those things combined, would just mean a toss out photo. the background is distracting to boot and it's very low contrast.

Slaphead
Having seen the pic I certainly would NOT regard this as a "toss-out"...
This is one-hell-of-a candid...
I would BUY this...
Kelly - not being rude here - but I see your criticism as hard and sharp... (toss-out photo... BG distracting to boot... very low contrast...) and without any constructivity - save your addit that you "just did a pretty cool edit of it." So why not post your edit and explain to the OP what you did to make it "pretty cool"..?
Jedo

...when I see a scene thats begging to have a photo taken and the window of opportunity is small, I tend to take it and make a decision later...

Good!
That's how good candid street (or café, for that matter) photography comes about.
It's not all done in studios, with proper lighting and all. There are more branches to photography than that.
And this scene WAS begging to be photographed, and despite the flaws that you might see in this photo, I am honoured to be meeting Hans through your photo of him!

Welcome to ThePhotoForum, by the way.
Our TPF Meet-Up here in Germany (still) distracts me a little (it was last week and we're now posting photos of it like crazy), so I could not say Hi and Welcome to you any earlier. Sorry about that.

Slaphead
Having seen the pic I certainly would NOT regard this as a "toss-out"...
This is one-hell-of-a candid...
I would BUY this...
Kelly - not being rude here - but I see your criticism as hard and sharp... (toss-out photo... BG distracting to boot... very low contrast...) and without any constructivity - save your addit that you "just did a pretty cool edit of it." So why not post your edit and explain to the OP what you did to make it "pretty cool"..?
Jedo

To me, it was my opinion. I would not have saved this picture, I would have tossed it. It hasn't moved me like it has to some of you apparently. I see a picture with a lot of technical difficulty and I just don't enjoy it *shrug*. If you don't like my opinion, you can graze right by it, OR you can browse through my previous posts, see if my other opinions seem to be honest, see if my work is good or sucks, and then determine if my opinion is worth taking or NOT.

I didn't post the shot because it says in his title that his pictures are not OK to edit. Sorry you missed that??

I don't have the edited version. I worked on it, and then realized it said not ok to edit, so I then tossed it.

THe important key here is that you DO have an audience and people that feel they connect with this photo in some way- I do not, but apparently I am not the majority :) :sexywink:

Most reactions

Back