Happy 240th Birthday US Marines

My physician and I were having a guy discussion and I said that the USMC was arguable the best fighting force of modern times. He stated " Modern times ... how about for all time."

Very kind. Thank you.

My physician and I were having a guy discussion and I said that the USMC was arguable the best fighting force of modern times. He stated " Modern times ... how about for all time."

Whats the worst?

Salvation army I bet.

Our Marines have a world-wide reputation of ... well ... being the best and most feared fighting force in he world. The Marines are assigned to protect all our embassies. During the Cold War, the minimum height requirement for a Marine guard at the Mosow embassy was 6'6".

While on assignment in Djobuti, doing a story on the French Foreign Legion, (another highly respected and storied fighting force). A Legionaire popped open the foot lockers of his troops to show me books about the USMC. I'm thinkin' " ... wow (a low and soft wow) ... the French Foreign Legion looks up to the Marines for inspiration. That's something."

Son and Step-son of Marines - Oo-Rah!!!!
c9e4e504b1228f5660b1540d368a20fe.jpg
33f6304df2f1c9c0ae460ab8f2598801.jpg

Last edited:
Our Marines have a world-wide reputation of ... well ... being the best and most feared fighting force in he world. The Marines are assigned to protect all our embassies. During the Cold War, the minimum height requirement for a Marine guard at the Mosow embassy was 6'6".

While on assignment in Djobuti, doing a story on the French Foreign Legion, (another highly respected and storied fighting force). A Legionaire popped open the foot lockers of his troops to show me books about the USMC. I'm thinkin' " ... wow (a low and soft wow) ... the French Foreign Legion looks up to the Marines for inspiration. That's something."
If we're going to discuss 'respected', 'feared', and 'world-wide reputation' then can't forget the
Gurkas!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

If we're going to discuss 'respected', 'feared', and 'world-wide reputation' then can't forget the Gurkas!
No you cannot. Individually, I'm sure you're average Gurka matches nicely/evenly/equally to your average Marine, but collectively, a Gurka company/division cannot match the combined firepower and tactics of a similar USMC unit. (But, to the best of my knowledge, it isn't the birthday of the founding of the Gurkas.)

If we're going to discuss 'respected', 'feared', and 'world-wide reputation' then can't forget the Gurkas!
No you cannot. Individually, I'm sure you're average Gurka matches nicely/evenly/equally to your average Marine, but collectively, a Gurka company/division cannot match the combined firepower and tactics of a similar USMC unit.
If you want pure muscle & fire-power, give the Marines a call, but when finesse matters, Those "little brown chaps from Nepal" are tough to beat.

I wish they would put me back in and to help destroy ISIS situation. I'm ready and willing. Let's get it done!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back