Happy WWPPD

smithdan

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not a nice day around here so had to teach a new dog old tricks and crank a homemade pinhole bodycap onto the front of my K S2. This years effort..

IMGP0032e2fssz.jpg

Did you make the hole in foil?

Did you make the hole in foil?

Holes made in foil are usually too large and irregular shaped making an image that is too fuzzy. Made mine in a flattened piece of aluminium beer can using a small sewing needle held in a pencil eraser for a drill, like this:
001ss.jpg 003ss.jpg 004ss.jpg

006ss.jpg

We used foil when we made ours, but we also made the rest of the camera out of a shoe box so we could set the film plane in the exact spot for prime focus, I guess it's different when you use a ready made box.

We used foil when we made ours, but we also made the rest of the camera out of a shoe box so we could set the film plane in the exact spot for prime focus, I guess it's different when you use a ready made box.

Err, there is no focus on a pinhole camera. Distance between film and lens = focal length. ;)

The focus is the spot where the image intersects the film plane.
Increasing the distance from the opening enlarges the image and it becomes less defined.
There is a spot where the image will be its sharpest and fill the plane.

Nice photo.

I thought about getting out one of my pinhole cameras... and that was as far as I got! But the day if nothing else gets me thinking about pinholing. Takes me awhile to finish the roll too, I won't be surprised if there's still film in one of them from last year.

Have a collection of bits and a uniquely shaped tea tin and some ideas of what to do with them - maybe next year. Got lazy and went digital this time around.
Somehow not the same though.

Well, I loaded the pinhole yesterday and took a test shot. The other shot ended up not happening, though I might try it again tonight (I'm thinking a several-hour long still life with just one lamp).

I have the Ondu with me today and am experimenting with a few things. I'm going to count anything on this roll as counting for WWPPW (World Wide Pinhole Photography Week ;) )

If it's any help exposure wise, the bowl of fake hydrangeas was lit with two 60w (equivalent) LED bulbs, fill at about 3 1/2 ft., key at about 2 ft., camera ISO at 400, time 24 sec. This is of course at approximately 35 mm film (sensor) distance from the hole and my homemade pinhole is probably a few " seconds" larger than the better made one in the Ondu. You do the math for your application!

..and I'll never rat on the "week" thing..

The focus is the spot where the image intersects the film plane.
Increasing the distance from the opening enlarges the image and it becomes less defined.
There is a spot where the image will be its sharpest and fill the plane.
Tim is right. Image is "intersecting" film plane always but the "best" quality is, when the circles of confusion are smallest which, incidently, is at the focal lenght. As it relatively easy to measure the focal distance the problem is to make the pinhole of the right size for it as to large or to small will render the picture fuzzier, than possible. There is one method to check the pinhole size and perfection using the enlarger.

Most reactions

Back