Hard Times at the Red Dog Mine

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
6x5-bw-d-9183.jpg

Great subject I'd love to see a picture at around dawn or dusk I think it would make the picture pop. The overcast lighting doesn't flatter the subject to me. Then again I'm sure you already know that.

It isn't that I don't think it is a great photograph I just see something more that would make it something I would PAY (capitols intended to indicate a tenfold difference in cost) to have on my wall. It isn't the darkness of the lighting it is the flatness that I'm not all that fond of.

This was taken a few minutes after sunset. Just trying something different by eliminating some of the color in the sky.

Basically composition SPOT on lighting acceptable to more than acceptable but would probably take months to get quite the right lighting. I'm not sure the dawn or dusk thing would work but catching it on the right overcast day when the light was just breaking through somewhere and I could see people discussing the photograph in one of those haughty big name photography schools. That is of course coming from a newbie but one that knows what he likes.

This was taken a few minutes after sunset. Just trying something different by eliminating some of the color in the sky.

That was definitely the right choice for the day you were shooting on then. A bright blue sky would do nothing for the photograph.

It isn't that I don't think it is a great photograph I just see something more that would make it something I would PAY (capitols intended to indicate a tenfold difference in cost) to have on my wall. It isn't the darkness of the lighting it is the flatness that I'm not all that fond of.

I see what you are saying.

I'm thinking I should try a re-edit with the sky detail back in. This shot is on the borderline of the adage that, "You can't save a bad photo." I believe at this point, you're correct, it's not working. There are things I like about it, the color and texture, but the flattening of the sky pushes it. I am looking for the "tenfold." So thank you!

Basically composition SPOT on lighting acceptable to more than acceptable but would probably take months to get quite the right lighting. I'm not sure the dawn or dusk thing would work but catching it on the right overcast day when the light was just breaking through somewhere and I could see people discussing the photograph in one of those haughty big name photography schools. That is of course coming from a newbie but one that knows what he likes.

That was definitely the right choice for the day you were shooting on then. A bright blue sky would do nothing for the photograph.

I'm looking back on the trip with a bit of angst. Things weren't quite right. I did get a few decent shots out of it, much better than my initial assessment of the results. I did plan to shoot the cemetery and these buildings at sunset and beyond, but do to a little screwing around and a stop at a cinder cone I ended up being about an hour behind schedule. I shot the series hand-holding my d70 & .jpg instead of my usual setup with d80, RAW, remote cable and tripod. I just wish- well, I blew it and I'm fortunate I got something this good. I seemed to be slightly later than I planned throughout the next few days. Too hurried. Likewise processing.

Thanks again for your comments.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back