Hard to manage clients

rub

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any tips on dealing with hard to manage clients?

I broke the cardinal rule, and did work for an old friend. They booked the minimum package, wanted more time and were unwilling to pay for it. I ended up with another photographer taking photos over my shoulder all day.

They then asked what free prints they get, (there contract says none) and then tried to purchase a portrait session DVD (for a fraction of the wedding DVD price). After being told that wasn'tan option, they didnt follow ordering instructions (they were pretty straightforward - add to cart) so now I have a $10,000 order on my end (that is worth $250).

And to top it off they emailed asking for all the unedted files to be included on the DVD. They booked me for 2 hours and paid $250.

I want them to be happy - I really do, but I think I might be outta luck on this one. There is no way in hell I will give my RAW files, and I weeded through them for poor composition, soft focus, exposure probs etc. They received 200 photos in the gallery.

What can I do?

Just Tell them
"I am trying to run a business, not a Charity, I'm sorry but i need to make a living too, if you went into a grocers and you were friends with a supervisor who worked there, you wouldn't get your items half price."
and if they decide not to pay what your wanting (for what you will give them) contact a lawyer and take the Necessary force needed.
Otherwise don't give them ANYTHING at all just tell them that if they are un-willing to pay then stuff it, the images are going into stock sharing websites

That is why you should request the money 7 - 14 days before the shoot
also make your B&G sign Model Releases incase of this type of situation so you can still make your money for your time

I would just kindly point out the terms of the contract they signed, and that by signing they agreed to those terms. Honestly, I wouldn't bend at all on what the contract says, because as soon as you deviate from that you show them that the contract is a suggestion rather than a contract.

As far as wanting them to be happy, I *might* apologize for their confusion, just to keep on good terms with the friend, but would take that opportunity to point out that the reason for the contract before hand is to prevent these issues in the first place.

Thanks for the feedback.

I should state that I was paid upfront for the time, and the contract said that there package contained no prints, just time and online hosting, plus 10 low res watermarked images for sharing.

I am not so concerned with the time overage, although I should be -I have a rate - I should stick to it. Its just the constant feeling I am getting from them, like I somehow ripped them off and they aren't getting whats rightfully theirs.

Does 200 images for that timeframe seem too low?

its the same one, just over and over and over again ;)

It is? Yeesh. At that point I'd just refuse to work for them citing prior disagreements. o_O

I most definatelt will be already "booked" if they ever call again. Just goes to show me once again: a) dont do business with friends and b) avoid the cheap clients

I would just kindly point out the terms of the contract they signed, and that by signing they agreed to those terms. Honestly, I wouldn't bend at all on what the contract says, because as soon as you deviate from that you show them that the contract is a suggestion rather than a contract.

Totally agree. That is the whole purpose of a contract. If they want it there way, tell them to go to Burger King.
Business is business, no matter who the client is. When I shoot friends, I make them sign the commercial contracts instead of the personal contracts. I go over each and every line and they initial each section and sign the bottom.
A well written contract with all the points covered leaves no room for misunderstood expectations.

Yes, the contract is a must, but some people just feel like it doesnt apply.

Or they don't even read them.. like they're thinking, "Oh she's my friend, She'll take care of me"

I hope I never have to go through what you have Kristal =P

I'm of the opinion that working for a friend can work, as long as you ask for payment up front, and are very, very clear that this is a business arrangement, and your relationship doesn't enter into the matter. That's what I've done for friends so far, and being crystal clear has garnered enough respect out of them to not hassle me later. (Then again, my friends more or less just appreciate that I can take nice photos of them, instead of the nasty direct flash they get with their P&S'. When they ask about prints about the first thing they ask is how much they owe me. Thank goodness for sane people knowing this stuff isn't free.)

What do they do for a living? I'm a huge fan of trade-out. We just designed a new auto detail shop's business card. Traded out for, what else, detailing! Make sure it's something you'll use. A local resturant packed up all the food we did for a shoot and included equal value gift certificates for our time. Barter is alive and well on Craig's list too!!

Unfortunately, barter doesn't pay the rent, or for new gear. :-/

Most reactions

Back