Hardest Wildlife you have photographed

Dave NY

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK, what is the hardest wildlife you have photographed and why?

Was it that special Whitetail Deer that you just got glimpses of every now and then, or that coyote that you would see every now and then?

What did you do to finally get the shot you wanted?

This critter. I got it completely by accident, because it decided to come out of the brush in front of me. I was totally unprepared and would have loved to spend some time adjusting the camera to deal with the deep shade, while I was in the bright sun, but speed was of the essence, because kitty didn't want to stick around for a photo session.

sep19202101 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

Most would be surprised to hear this from me but it's hands down Snowy owls.

Yes I have thousands of images of them but I was looking for that one special shot.

It took me four years of many extremely cold mornings and evenings, hundreds of thousands of frames, learning patterns, taking the weeks of time to get them used to my presence and dealing with gear and me freezing up. Even when Logan was tired of shooting snowy's, I was still looking for "That shot".

Luckily it all payed off. Below is an image taken about two minutes before "The image" but I never have and never will post the final shot.

Peaceful Snowy by Trevor Baldwin, on Flickr

P.S. Great question. I don't recall anyone asking this before.

The most difficult for me have been, mice voles and birds in flight.....:onthego:

Otters playing in the snow in Algonquin Park ... never got that shot.
Wolves crossing a frozen lake in Algonquin Park ... only one poor shot my wife got on film and never seen again.

A feeding Swallow in flight and dragonfly in flight. Both racked up many shutter activations resulting in only a couple of actual images.

DSC_5236_1200px.jpg

DSC_4104_1200px.jpg

The lynx. They're in the area but I've only seen one at work and I didn't have my camera with me. It was too far away for a good shot anyway. Maybe I can cheat and get one with a trail cam! :excitement:

Wow, Swallows in flight have always been too quick for me...

Those are all Great shots. Sometimes you are just in the right place at the right time. Sometimes, like Zombiesniper, you have to put in tons of time and learn your targets habits to get the shots you want.

The shots you folks have posted are incredible, I can't believe the swallow and dragonfly shots, they are so fast and fly unpredictably.

Tortoises are pretty hard. Don't know why, guess they just grew that way. Armadillos are probably hard too, but I've never photographed one.

Wolves in Yellowstone, just too far away, not enough reach in my glass. Got a couple of lucky shots of one that ran across the road in front of us, but not a decent shot. My daughter standing right beside me with the same gear got a great one. Go figure.

Whales are hard too, never caught one breaching and unless you do all you can see is a gray lump in the water most of the time. Even if they are right beside the boat.

OK, what is the hardest wildlife you have photographed and why?

Was it that special Whitetail Deer that you just got glimpses of every now and then, or that coyote that you would see every now and then?

What did you do to finally get the shot you wanted?
My hardest is Eagles in flight. I just try to be patient and pan rather smooth.

Pissed off hornets.

Actually a couple of shore birds that refused to stay in one place for more than a couple of seconds. I couldn’t get closer and didn’t have a long lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back