hardy old film SLRs

thebeginning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.danielcolvinphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i'm thinking about getting an old SLR to take on a trip (i dont want to take what i already have because i dont want to mess it up) and i am looking mostly at old film SLRs. thanks for the suggestion, whoever suggested that i do this :D . I'd be getting it on ebay, most likely. Something under $50 with a lens would be great. Anything decent and sturdy will work (manual or autofocus).

you'll find Minoltas X-series on ebay for that money. They could be a good choice, I think

A Ricoh KR-5 would fit the bill, and it accepts Pentax glass. If you would go up a bit, Pentax KX is a tank and only goes for around $85.

Dave

Pentax Spotmatic or K1000 and the Nikon Nikkormat should fit your bill perfectly and be available reasonably with a f1.8 50mm standard lens.

R

I like Pentax Spotmatics for beater cameras. Built like a tank, no electronics, simple to use, cheap to buy, and there are lots of them out there with plenty of accessories. The only problem is that they seem to often have broken light meters; I use a hand held meter anyway. The Takumar lenses for Spotmatics are fantastic glass. Pentax was working hard to compete with Zeiss at the time. They don't look fancy, so they aren't a target for thieves. Besides, you could bonk the theif on the head with it, and still keep shooting. It wouldn't even dent a Spotmatic.

thanks for the suggestions guys!

ive actually just recently been thinking about maybe an old nikon camera (EM or old F series) because then i can fit the lenses i already have onto it, and i can fit the new one onto my f3. or maybe just another camera that has a nikon mount.

Definately more expensive than a Spotmatic, but still very reasonable would be a Nikon FM, FM2, or FM2n. I bought a FM2n last year and it's a really nice camera. Fun to use and it seems very sturdy. And the meter works! (which is rare for my cameras).

Most reactions

Back