Harvester and Rifleman!

sm4him said:
Allow me to demonstrate my ignorance::crazy:

WHAT is the difference between a rifle and a shotgun? And how can you tell by looking at them? :gun:

I like the first image better, because it's a cool looking machine in a big field, whereas the second is just a guy, outstanding in his field (or someone else's field, probably)...with a...high-speed projectile dispenser. :D
A shotgun shoots several ball bearing looking things out of a shell. A rifle shoots bullets. Shotguns have a large spread, whereas rifles have a single bullet per trigger pull.

Thank you! I think my son explained that to me once, but, as he was talking about guns, I was only half-listening. Maybe not even half. :D
So, how can you tell by looking at the photo of it, which it is?

The diameter of the barrel is the biggest giveaway for me. The rifle has a much smaller diameter. Also, the forestock on this shotgun is bulkier than a rifle and stays the same diameter essentially all the way to the forward end. A rifle is smaller and usually more tapered. This is because the magazine tube on a shotgun runs under/in the forestock. Finally, if you look close enough, there is no scope on the firearm. Without the scope, a rifle will have a considerably higher profile front sight at the end of the barrel, while the one in the picture does not. A shotgun (unless a slug barrel), only has a small bead at the end of the barrel. Finally, a shotgun is typically considerably longer than a rifle (which without a comparison, you just know).

Those are the specifics. For those of us that hunt regularly, it is much like an experienced photographer looking at someone else's gear - you just know by looking at it.

Most reactions

Back