Has anyone ever been robbed or mugged while out shooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Borrow his camera? What on earth for?

Borrow = give it to him and he will walk away with it.

polite way of mugging ;)

Well, yeah :lol: but what I mean is did he give a reason/excuse for why he wanted to borrow the camera. I'm assuming that if it took a threat to call the cops to get rid of him that the conversation had some length to it. Just curious.

Me personally no but I was out with a friend once and some guy approached us and asked him to borrow his camera (looked dodgy) and wouldn't go away until my friend threatened to call the police. So. Be wary ;P

Sounds like your friend is too polite for his own good. I keep walking and refuse to engage. If you make them chase you, they give up pretty easily.

Well, yeah :lol: but what I mean is did he give a reason/excuse for why he wanted to borrow the camera. I'm assuming that if it took a threat to call the cops to get rid of him that the conversation had some length to it. Just curious.

You still don't understand England yet ;)

You still don't understand England yet ;)

s'pose not :lol:. I have always wanted to visit Europe, experience other cultures. Some day perhaps...

Being mugged is the least of your Canadian problem. Tar oil is what I speak of. (yes, I know we invest in it)

;)

Statement like this are like a personal attack on my livelihood, most often than not made by people not educated w/ the Oilsands mining or extraction process.

It is very easy for someone to fly over an open pit mine and take pictures. Mining is not a pretty thing, but what most people fail to recognise is the forest they flew over to get to that mine, was once a mine itself.

In Alberta we have government and industry regulatory bodies that ensure the environment is well protected. The governing agencies in Canada, regarding industry are very strict and the penalties for non compliance swift and severe.

The disaster that happened off the gulf coast, would not have been allowed to happen in Canada or in the North Sea, because of stronger regulations and requirements. On a recent trip through Montana, I seen a Pole Rig working over a well, We have not used that equipment in Canada for more than 30 years.

Being mugged is the least of your Canadian problem. Tar oil is what I speak of. (yes, I know we invest in it)

;)

Statement like this are like a personal attack on my livelihood, most often than not made by people not educated w/ the Oilsands mining or extraction process.

It is very easy for someone to fly over an open pit mine and take pictures. Mining is not a pretty thing, but what most people fail to recognise is the forest they flew over to get to that mine, was once a mine itself.

In Alberta we have government and industry regulatory bodies that ensure the environment is well protected. The governing agencies in Canada, regarding industry are very strict and the penalties for non compliance swift and severe.

The disaster that happened off the gulf coast, would not have been allowed to happen in Canada or in the North Sea, because of stronger regulations and requirements. On a recent trip through Montana, I seen a Pole Rig working over a well, We have not used that equipment in Canada for more than 30 years.

So you took what you considered to be a personal attack on a Canadian by a Norwegen and responded to it by attacking the US...nice.:roll: You didn't work for the Bush administration did you? :lol:

.................The disaster that happened off the gulf coast, would not have been allowed to happen in Canada or in the North Sea, because of stronger regulations and requirements. On a recent trip through Montana, I seen a Pole Rig working over a well, We have not used that equipment in Canada for more than 30 years.

Interesting. You have completely eliminated environmental disasters through legislation. Bravo! I can see it now..... Signs at the borders: "Welcome to Canada! No environmental disasters in 5,635 days!"

Now start working on murders, rapes, and drugs.

.................The disaster that happened off the gulf coast, would not have been allowed to happen in Canada or in the North Sea, because of stronger regulations and requirements. On a recent trip through Montana, I seen a Pole Rig working over a well, We have not used that equipment in Canada for more than 30 years.

Interesting. You have completely eliminated environmental disasters through legislation. Bravo! I can see it now..... Signs at the borders: "Welcome to Canada! No environmental disasters in 5,635 days!"

Now start working on murders, rapes, and drugs.

From what I understand- The overall rate of crime in Canada is much lower per capita than in the US.

EDIT: Not that I really agree with the way Canada regulates things lol

From what I understand- The overall rate of crime in Canada is much lower per capita than in the US.

That's what I mean. If they can regulate environmental disasters into the history books, perhaps they should start legislating crimes out of existence as well.

I have had a couple of experiences, actually. Once in Cambridge MA, actually at the Harvard book store a couple of guys were making me feel uncomfortable. Looking and whispering as my small-town friends sister made an obnoxiously big deal about it and how it must have costed a me a lot of money. My friend and I passed back and forth my camera bag and just kept moving around the store, they kept pretty good tabs on us, but eventually became nervous and decided against making any further moves.

The second time I was out shooting at night, this big skinhead type was sitting in his car and made no effort at discression. Just before I approached his rusty bucket of a car, he drove off. Knowing he was eyeing my gear, I watched him drive off and turn a couple blocks down, figuring he'd come back when I was in a less well-lit area, I hid in a garden at the local art museum, behind a wall and just listened. Sure enough, he drove by a couple of times and after he left I darted into an alley, through a parking lot and into a neighborhood which would have been difficult for him to get into, and proceeded to walk home on the side streets.

When i was younger, I used to have this big plan about how I'd club an attacker over the head with my tripod (and very heavy Contax RX or Bronica S) but when you're actually in that sort of situation, it makes much more sense to use your head than go thinking you'll go all Rambo.

;)

Lol of course the albertan would defend the oil sands. Im just joking bud. Im just worried about that big pipe they got going across the national parks into bc. Remember the dawson creek bombings. Imagine if someone did that again and these pipelines are too long to be inspected everyday.

So, what exactly is the reason for the extreme cancer rate certain local tribes downstream are suffering? What is the reason for neutral scientific teams claiming that the river is poisoned, leading to deformed fish, deadly waters and tribes living in fear of that soon the numbers of dead family and friends will have double digits?

Ha. Guess I forgot which forum I opened. I couldn't figure out why in the world someone would attempt to mug someone out having a little target practice.

So, what exactly is the reason for the extreme cancer rate certain local tribes downstream are suffering? What is the reason for neutral scientific teams claiming that the river is poisoned, leading to deformed fish, deadly waters and tribes living in fear of that soon the numbers of dead family and friends will have double digits?
I dont know about the rest but I do know the deformed fish has lots of factors to it. It could be the pulp mills run offs, it could be the oil field or it could be the hormones flushed down the toilet from women's birth control usage. This is exactly why I opposed the giant pipeline that they put in that runs through the national parks.

I've never been robbed while out shooting knock on wood. Then again I've never shot in Mexico city or Medellin Colombia where real danger lurks. South central LA is pretty hairy at night, but I've managed to stay safe.
The best place I've found is Las Vegas for night photography. The cops there keep it very safe, especially photographers.

I usually bring a second person with me. That way I can be fully aware of my surroundings while I'm focused on taking the shot. I also keep a "blackjack" with me for protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back