Has anyone ever heard of this camera?

havoc

Jedi something or other
Reaction score
It looks like a piece of crap, but its going for a ton of money. Anyone have any info on this cam? Lubitel is a Russian company i thought, but other then that i know nothing about it.

1500 dollars US All i know is it was a lubitel rangefinder with a nikon lense and it was 6x7cm format

Hertz van Rental said:
Lots more on Google but I like the design of this page. Not sure if it's the same Lubitel though. I can only find the TLR 166.

http://lubitel-resource.tripod.com/manual.html

I'm sure that's not it, these go for up to 50 dollars a pop in excellent condition. It must be some rare Lubitel, small run production. I'll do some research too, now that I have some time.

Naw, it was a rangefinder. Had a Nikon Lense. and looked like a toy. Almost Holga like. I really dunno what it was.

dunno, lubitel is actually not a brand, lomo manufactured them and like mitica said they go for 50 bucks and less. i would call them "toy cams" no coated lens, focusing kinda impossible. hmmm, strange.

Lubitel and Lomo were both USSR brand names, although we now know them most from the Lubitel plastic TLRs and that popular Lomo point-n-shoot.

I imagine that the reason for the large value on this particular camera is due to rarity of the camera and/or the Nikon lens.

It must have been some sort of strange marriage between a cheap Russian camera and a Nikon lens. There is no record of any kind showing that Lomo (the manufacturer of Lubitel) has used Nikon optics on their cameras, even their prototypes. Someone must've put it together and claimed to be original. Unless... Where's the darn picture?

The other thing that comes to mind is a Russian RF camera, very good copy of a Contax III, named Kiev (or KUEB in cyrillic), which could use either Russian lenses or Contax lenses. Some of these were manufactured without a logo, they're pretty rare. Could it be that Lomo decided to copy a Nikon RF as well? I'll research some more.

I think i found the camera again, It not a Lubitel, sorry guys the camera I was reffering to was a "Plaubel Makina 67" Its a range finder with a Nikon fixed 50mm lense and a spot meter. I guess its one of the smallest 6x7 format cameras. Still does not look worth that proce withthe fixed lense in all. But hey maybe it is the next best thing to sliced bread...

havoc said:
Still does not look worth that proce with the fixed lense in all. But hey maybe it is the next best thing to sliced bread...

Plaubel cameras are very nice, but they are expensive because of the way they are built and marketed. A lot of attention to detail and quality and hand building combined with low production numbers (compared to most other camera brands) makes the price go up. This also seems to attract collectors, and that makes the price go up too. Many the reviews I've read of Plaubel cameras go something along the lines of: great camera, but over-priced unless you really need a specific feature offered in the Plaubel only. Smallest 6x7 rangefinder is definately an intriguing feature. :)

Most reactions

Back