Has anyone heard of a Canon Camera "A"?

Thanks for the laugh! That is absolutely hilarious! That same basic cheap "focus free" 35mm camera has been around for quite some time. It's a really amusing fake. Goodwill seems to be the repository for most of the similar cameras of that type, typically with a $1 price tag, $2 if the flash is with it.

I think it'd make a fine start to a Canon camera collection, what with that focus free lens and all.

This is it. ... Also included was a very large vintage Kogaku zoom lens in its own leather case.

I think you'll find that this is not a Canon product and that it was not made in Japan. Its a simple plastic box camera: fixed focus (aka "focus free"), simple optical VF, ... . All of the "Canon" labeling is fraudulent.

BTW, "Kogaku" is not a brand; it is simple a Japanese word that means, roughly, "optical" or "optical company". It does appear in may of the older names of camera companies such a Nikon's old name "Nippon Kogaku" with simply meant "Japanese Optical Co."

Apologies Dwig, that was bad communication on my part as I was trying to do 2 things at once.... The extra lens that was taped to the outside of the fake camera case is a Topcon Topcor Super..... I knew right away it was from an earlier era due to the character on the old leather lens case it was in. And then of couse the lens itself just looked far higher in quality than the camera.
I returned the fake canon this aft but hung onto the lens :thumbup:
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc276/CaptJackSparrow/IMG_1258.jpg

I figure no harm no foul on that since it wasn't priced separately and can't be used w/ the canon imposter anyways.... Guessing 1960's and rarely if ever used on the lens.

Last edited:
i know im a couple years late to reply but i own one of this cameras and its not for kids my dad bought it for me and recently gave it to me and it is an excellent camera :)

WAIT You might check on Ebay as "toy" cameras are all the rage with LOMO people and you might be able to make your money back and then some. Run a roll through it and see what happens. If it's soft/fuzzy and has a mild light leak or two you might have struck gold! If not get your money back because that's camera won't cut it for nature photography in the mountains.

Reckon it allows less stray light in than a new Mark III?
bigthumb.gif

I saw one of these being offered for sale on a local online site a while ago. Either the seller didn't know what he had or was passing along something he got by being scammed. I've seen other similar ones with either other camera brand names or generic names. Its a simple point and shoot film camera.

I'm pretty sure Canon did not license their name for use on this toy camera!

Also produced with the "Olympia" name (hoping to be confused with Olympus I presume). Lots of 'em on eBay at all different prices but few, if any, buyers.

Also produced with the "Olympia" name (hoping to be confused with Olympus I presume). Lots of 'em on eBay at all different prices but few, if any, buyers.

I've heard the images these make are comparable to those that are made with middle- and higher-end Canon and Olympus film cameras...provided the user exercises good shooting fundamentals (ie. tripod, cable release, allowing vibrations to quell r triggering the shot,etc,etc.) and has a good sense of humor...but then I dunno...I do not know of anybody still shooting film with an Oly or a Canon...

Necro thread, I know. Just wanted to add to this in case someone comes across it. Matsui is the production company that made these cameras. They even have some with their own name on them. Also went under Olympia, Nikkon and Regal (just some others I've come across).

From what I've read elsewhere on the web (mostly people's accounts on how they acquired them), these cheap P&S-handed-off-as-SLR cameras were given out as promo "gifts" for cruises and time-share sales. You know "come check our sales pitch and get a free gift for showing up!" type things. Also from what what I've read, Canon never gave them permission to use their name on these products and I believe (although I cant find the reference now) that Canon sued them but couldnt win because the country in which these cameras are made in doesnt give a damn about copyright laws.

Just for reference I'll add some of the model names I've seen so far:

TC-8000 (with or without a "D" at the end)
Q5200
Q8200
S8200
Camera "A"
Camera "B"
CNx30
Kit 3006

Color variations exist. Can be seen in all black, black with gold top/bottom plates or black with silver top/bottom plates. There were two different flash units sold as well. One with a rectangular head and one with a more circular head. Camera bags given away with these can also vary. Some were just very basic zipper bags with minimal padding and some came in what appears to be legit Canon branded bags with a buckle closure top flap and canvas material. Since I haven't held one in my hands, I cant verify that nicer bags were legit Canon bags or just another knockoff.

As I come across more information, I'll post it up here. I'm actually intrigued with these things however I wont spend a dime on one.

*EDIT* Just found a few more "brand" names used: Olempia, Nokina, Nikai, Canomatic, Mitsubishi, Mitsuba, Mitake, Nikkei and Polo Sharpshots. A slight variation of the body was sold under the names Pantium and Goldtek.

Last edited:
Cabledawg-Best necro thread addition post I've ever seen on TPF. Bravo!

I really felt compelled to do it since I came across one of these cameras not too long ago. It didnt look familiar (I'm not a Canon pro but do consider myself an aggressive enthusiast) so I looked up the model number and no dice. Kept digging and digging using key words about what it looked like and such until I came across a blog with a little information about Matsui. Eventually I found this thread (been on TPF for a little while but never saw the thread till now) and thought "why not add more info?" So I spent the better part of a week compiling different names and model numbers, then posted the info I had found but kept finding more throughout the evening. At this point, I would hope that anyone looking to buy one of these cameras can find this thread and make an informed decision on whether to purchase one or not. Lomographers seem to enjoy them if acquiring for cheap or free but truth be told, they are junk.

cabledawg said:
>>SNIP>>>Lomographers seem to enjoy them if acquiring for cheap or free but truth be told, they are junk.

Yes, junk they are, indeed. I have seen three of these, all at Goodwill stores. These are very crummy devices. But...Lomography is about low-fidelity photography, in the main, so...I guess this might be a very high-grade low-fidelity camera. Right? Lol!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back