Has anyone taken online photography courses?

I heard many people talking about the New York Institute of Photography. Some people do well with this type of learning...but it isn't for everybody. Many people sign up and then don't follow though because it's quite a bit different than class room learning.

I would probably prefer to take night classes at a local college etc.

Yeah, I've looked into local classes, but haven't had much luck finding anything. The local junior college cancled the class we signed up for due to low enrollment. The University doesn't have continued education courses in photography. And besides two different workshops that I've heard mixed reviews on... there just doesn't seem to be much around here. That's what brought me to this online stuff. I don't know, I'll just probably due one of the local workshops. Thanks for the help.

- Jason

The very first class I took was an online course. It's not for everyone and often there is no one nearby to physically show you on your camera. For me, it was a good starting point and only ignited my passion for photography.

http://www.selfmadescholar.com/classes.html <--- this site has a lot of FREE online courses/tutorials. Not just in photography but other stuff too. Some of them may be useful for some people. Others may not find them useful.

I only suggest you make sure you are signing up for a class that you have the equipment for. And to make sure you are indeed an independent learner. If you are someone who needs more guided instruction and feedback from someone, online may not be the way to go. I could not rely on an online course for darkroom printing because I need to see the process in person rather than reading about it. However, I could do an online course in photoshop because I work better alone and on my own computer.

I conduct workshops in CT and just recently started to offer the material on-line although reluctantly.
I feel that a "live" class offers much more.The participants can interact and help one another. They can also complete assignments together.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back